Sunday, December 4, 2011

More than half way through radiation!

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot. -- unknown

I’ve been feeling so good and so “normal” that I totally forget about writing in my blog!  Just happened to think of it.  It will probably be pretty short because I don’t have much to report.  It was a relatively uneventful week as far as radiation goes.  It all went pretty smoothly, even on the 3 days Dr. Sprawls was the “doctor on site.”  In fact, he was EARLY on one of the days!  I couldn’t believe my eyes…..and told him so.  He laughed.  I was supposed to see Dr. Bryant (radiation onco) on Wednesday, but she was out sick with laryngitis, so the appointment was rescheduled to Friday, but she was still out sick.  Guess I’ll see her this week.  I want to show her the itchy rash/burn I have all over my chest and see if there’s something a little more effective to use on it.  I had been using aloe every day.  On Friday, Melissa (one of the techs) gave me some samples of an ointment to try.  It helps but doesn’t alleviate the itching for very long. 

I had my INR checked again on Friday, and it was low at 1.4 (supposed to be between 2 and 3).  Not sure why it was low, but they upped my warfarin dose to 6 mg/day, and I’ll have to have the INR checked again next Friday. 

On Friday we also changed campgrounds – moved from Wickham Park in Melbourne back up to Kars Park in Merritt Island.  We really enjoyed our stay at Wickham Park, but the snowbirds were starting to take over, and we couldn’t keep our site past Dec. 2nd.  It’s good to be back up in the central part of the county again.  I think it will take me about 15-20 minutes longer each way to drive to radiation, but I only have 12 more sessions left, so I think I can handle it.  Yup, 18 down and 12 to go!  Woo hoo!!

Some friends of ours from the Keys came to visit us Friday afternoon, which was fun.  We hadn’t seen them in several years, so it was fun getting caught up on things. 

Our good friends, Barbara and Brian, brought their RV to Kars for the weekend, too, so it’s been fun spending time with them.  Barbara and I went to some yard sales yesterday and then did a little “retail therapy.”  Barbara found a fondue pot at one of the yard sales, so we cooked shrimp in that last night, which was delicious.  Brian cooked some steaks on the grill, and we had salad and steamed veggies with the “surf and turf.”  Sat outside by the river and had a wonderful evening.  Today we went to the Cocoa Village Craft Fair and had fun walking around there doing some Christmas shopping. 

And now I can’t believe it’s Sunday night already and the weekend is just about over.  WAAAAHHHH!  How come the weekends go so fast??  Oh to be retired……can’t wait for the day…….  I love my job, though, so I’m not going to complain (too much…..)

I guess that’s about it for now folks.  Not much other news to report.  Hugs to everybody!

You know you’re a breast cancer patient when……your chest is flatter than your stomach!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
It seems like a long time since I've written a comment! I'm so glad your progress is going relatively smoothly. We'll be so happy spending time there with you and Kenny, in March!
I love you and, as usual, you're always in my mind.

Free

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz',
It is just such an awesome feeling to open up your blog and read it and see that we have "our Suzy back!" I can't wait to be with you in just a few weeks....only 38 days but who's counting??!! :)
I hope you can get something to stop the itching....hope it doesn't keep you up at night. So excited that the end is near for the radiation...and then you can sit back and enjoy the holidays without having to get in that darn car once again!!!
Love you so much,
Nancy

Jean said...

Dear Suzy,
"So good" and "so normal" are wonderful words to hear coming from you! And you sound so good on the phone, too. "Our Suzy" is back!
We, too, are counting the days until you and Nancy are here and I figure 36, which I like better than the 38 that Nancy got! The way time flies these days, it will be here before we know it. We've ordered just enough snow for snow-shoeing, not blizzardy stuff.
Having stayed at Kars Park a few years ago, it's nice to be able to picture exactly where you are. It's a beautiful place, a great spot to be for the winter.
I love you MUCHO, Suzy! And love to Kenny, too.
Mom