Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Back in Florida now.....

The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other.  -- Mario Puzo

I’ve been meaning to get back on here to post a new blog entry, but time seems to have run away from me, and I can’t believe it has been over 2 weeks since I’ve posted.  It’s the old “no news is good news” thing – I don’t have a whole lot to report.

But I’ll begin by saying I had a fabulous 10 days in Maine with Mom, Freeland, and Nancy.  And, of course, the highlight of the visit was the wonderful celebration we had on the 14th – celebrating Freeland’s 85th birthday and the end of my cancer treatments – with 19 of us together for a day filled with fun and frivolity, good company, delicious food, and wonderful wine!  Oh my, it was so superb to have so many of us together.  I’ll try not to get too repetitious here because I know most of you read my last post.  But I have to say that I am STILL totally overwhelmed and quite emotional by what my amazing family and friends of the family did for me!  The medical bills are already starting to come in from various appointments I’ve had in January, and I have to say that all the stress of paying them has been alleviated!  I still can’t believe it!  I so clearly remember sitting on the couch at Mom and Freeland’s house when Nancy presented me with that big, beautiful purple card and the big, beautiful Bank of America check!  As I said in my last blog, I honestly thought the check said $1800 (no glasses on), and I thought to myself I’d better not say that out loud because there is NO WAY they are giving me a check of that magnitude!  So I nearly had a heart attack when I found it was $7800, not $1800! 

I knew we were celebrating the end of my cancer treatments, but in all honesty I was not expecting a card of any sort, much less one filled with loving messages from so many people, and I certainly wasn’t expecting a huge check to help with the medical bills!  At the very most, I thought maybe we’d have a toast – “Here’s to Suzy finishing 11 months of cancer treatment and to a better year ahead!  YAY!”  And we all take a sip of wine and go play some more ping pong or whatever!  So I was really flabbergasted by what actually transpired! 

Okay, I’m gonna start crying again, so I’d better get on another subject.  BUT THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT AND GENOROSITY!!!!

I’m back in Florida now.  Flew out of Bangor on 1/22 – it was 7 below zero(!) that morning as I was standing outside on the tarmac waiting to board the commuter plane to Philly.  And it was 78 (above zero!) when I landed in Orlando.  Kenny met me at the airport – so nice to see him – and we went to lunch at a little restaurant on the Banana River in Merritt Island.  Sat outside on that beautiful Sunday afternoon watching the porpoise swimming and playing in the river. 

My INR has been within range for 4 weeks in a row!  Yay!  Unfortunately, it is either at the high end or the low end of the range, so I still have to have it checked weekly….for now.  It’s not painful – just a finger stick – but it’s time consuming – travel time, waiting time, etc. 

I started my aromatase inhibitor (generic Femara) on 1/23.  So far, so good.  No side effects to speak of except some minor hot flashes.  Nothing I can’t deal with, though.  Eight pills down, 1817 left to go!  Eeeh gads!  That sounds terrible, doesn’t it?!

I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist on 2/10 for my watery eyes.  They’re not getting any better, and they’re driving me a little crazy – at times pouring down my cheeks like a freakin’ waterfall!  Hopefully he’ll have some suggestions for me, although Dr. Sprawls warned me that he might want to put stents in to help with the drainage.  I’m not sure I’m interested in that.  Might just have to continue on carrying hankies with me everywhere I go for wiping up the constant flow of tears.

Happy to report that I’m back to eating healthy (for the most part) – mainly protein and veggies – and back to exercising again.  I’ve been trying to ride my bike to the Pioneer Trail (15 minutes), walk the trail (35 minutes), and ride back to the RV (15 minutes).  On days that it’s too windy for a bike ride, I drive to the trail and walk the trail – it’s a beautiful walk.  Today I don’t feel like doing anything because I seem to be coming down with a cold.  Bummer.  It’s zapping my energy today.  Of course I keep reassuring myself that IT’S ONLY A COLD.  As anyone who has ever had cancer will tell you, every new ache, every pain, every illness scares the heck out of you, and you start imaging the worst.  HOWEVER, I am going to BANISH those negative thoughts from my brain.  It is ONLY a cold, and I will be feeling GREAT again in just a couple of days!  In fact, I’m starting to feel better already!

One final note here – a lot of you probably already saw the photo on Facebook with me “modeling” my new Sleevey Wonders®, but I have to post a picture for the benefit of those not on Facebook.  These are the coolest things.  I can’t wear sleeveless tops due to “arm dangle.”  Well, a high school classmate and friend of mine, Ruthann Greenblat, has come up with the perfect solution.  Simply put, they are sleeves that you wear underneath a sleeveless or strapless top or dress.  They can be used to hide arm dangle or to jazz up an outfit or just to add sleeves if you don’t feel like going sleeveless.   Check ‘em out at www.sleeveywonders.com.       
Hope everything is wonderful in your various corners of the world.  All is well here in Florida.  Sending LOTS OF HUGS to everybody! 


Me in my Sleevey Wonders (and sleeveless top)



6 comments:

Jean said...

Hi Suzy -
Love that photo of you in your Sleevey Wonder outfit. That's a great idea and I hope Ruthann does well with it.
We, too, are still thinking about the wonderful reunion we had here a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing to be able to gather together 19 family members, to celebrate Freeland's 85th birthday and your completion of the cancer treatments. I just counted everyone in the family (including significant others) and if we ALL got together, we would number 34! Wouldn't that be a fun time!
Meanwhile, we will settle for every little reunion we can get, the next one being in Cape Canaveral, Florida beginning March 3rd. Can't wait!
Oh, by the way, Suzy - do you remember about my remedy if you feel a cold coming on? Take mega doses of the Emergen-C drink, every 3 or 4 hours. As well as the fresh lemon juice in water that I hope you're drinking every day??!!
Guaranteed to nip the cold in the bud.
I love you!
Mom

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
Thank you much for this latest blog-it's like meeting an old friend!
It's great to read that you're still feeling good--I hope the
opthalmologist can do something about the flow of tears.
We've entered the month of February--I don't want to wish time away, but in less than a month now we'll be on our way to
Cape Canaveral for our reunion with you and Nancy, plus Kenny!
It's about 25 degrees out, and will be 10 degrees by tomorrow morning!We're about to go for a chilly walk.
I'm always thinking about you and loving you--
Free

Jean said...

Back again, to wish you and Kenny a VERY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY tomorrow! We love you both -
Mom/Jean

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy,
I sure miss being with you...and with Mom and Freeland. What is it that makes it so comfortable , relaxing and just good ol' plain fun when the Fab Four are together??! We don't need to figure it out....it just "is what it is" and we are beyond lucky to have it! I am glad you are settled back in at home....and back into your routine of healthy eating and exercising. That may be a bit disrupted once again come March 3rd....but nothing that you can't go back to when we leave, right?? I can't wait to see you and give you yet, another big fat giant hug!! Until then, please take care of that darn cold...listen to your mother!! Give Kenny a BIG hug from the McClurkin clan and I can't wait to see you both in a bit over a month!
I love you tons, Nancy

Penelope Z said...

Suzy, so glad that you had a good time (putting it mildly, I know) in Maine. It was FANTASTIC to see you - you are an inspiration to us all.

I'm impressed with your exercise regimen - it's too cold/icy to exercise outdoors here. I look forward to April, when it'll be warm enough to bike!

Love, Penny

Penelope Z said...

Oops! Happy Anniversary to you both!