Monday, July 18, 2011

Best laid plans go awry......


The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.  – Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher

Well, Dr. Sprawls assured me that Taxotere would be much milder and easier to handle than the Adriamycin/Cytoxan regimen I had finally completed.  So I assumed the Taxotere would be a “piece of cake,” a “walk in the park.”  Boy, was I wrong!  I was feeling fine on Wednesday, Thursday, and most of Friday.  In fact, we went to the beach Friday afternoon for a few hours and had a really nice, relaxing time.  But by Friday evening – shortly after dinner – I was doubled over in excruciating abdominal pain.  It made for a rough night of sleep Friday night because I couldn’t find any position that was comfortable, and moving/changing positions aggravated the pain even more.  I couldn’t walk straight up; my upper torso was bent at about a 45-degree angle, and every step was extremely painful. 

Saturday was more of the same, so Kenny decided not to go to Jacksonville because he didn’t want to leave me feeling like that, here by myself without a car, etc. etc., which I really appreciated it.  I called the oncologist’s office, and the doctor on call called me back.  I told him what was going on.  He said abdominal pain was not uncommon with Taxotere, but I needed to go the emergency room if I had a fever of 100.5 or greater or if the pain got worse.  Fortunately, I had no fever, and the pain stayed about the same.  I really didn’t want to go hang out in a germ-infested emergency room with my compromised immune system and low white count.  So I just spent a good part of Saturday in bed, although I had to do a few hours of transcription so I forced myself to get up and do that.  I just didn’t want to leave it all until Sunday or it would have made for a brutal Sunday.

By Sunday I was feeling a bit better.  The abdominal pain, nausea, and weakness still persisted, but I was able to spend most of the day out of bed.  I even insisted that Kenny go to Jacksonville to work on the boat.  He insisted that I take the dogs out for a walk before he left so that he could see I had the strength to do that while he was gone.  I did fine, and he left for Jacksonville around noon.  So the plans were merely delayed for about 28 hours (he had originally planned to leave first thing Saturday morning). 

Today I’m doing even better than yesterday but still not back to normal.  Still have some abdominal pain and nausea.  Still feel a little weak.  And nothing tastes good, including water.  If I continue to improve a little bit each day, I should be feeling almost back to “normal” (whatever normal is these days……) just in time for the next batch of poison to be administered.  Oh boy!  Can hardly wait!  I’m just hoping this was a fluke thing and that this isn’t going to be status quo for the next 10 weeks.  I will definitely be discussing it all with the oncologist on Wednesday.

And I guess that wraps things up for now.  It’s time for jammies and a book, take the dogs out for one last walk, and then bed…..and hopefully a good night’s sleep. 

7 comments:

Penelope Z said...

Good morning, Suzy,
Hope you're feeling better today - boy, that sounds so lame when I re-read your description of your weekend. Hopefully the oncologist will tell you that the upcoming doses will be better tolerated by your body.
Mom and I are going to Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay today. It's a lovely, peace-filled place - I'll inhale some of the peace and send it your way!
Love,Penny

Penelope Z said...

Hi, Suzy,dear,
I'm thinking of you sooo much and hoping you,re feeling more comfortable today. Your weekend must have been terrible and I'm so sorry.
I'm in Maine at the cottage with Penny and having much fun. I'm using her laptop to write this which feels very strange so please excuse the mistakes!!
Love you lots, dear. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs and lots of love,
Shirley

Rebecca said...

Hi Suzy--
Well, today's Wednesday. Hope your Oncologist appt. is productive, and you get some answers. That sounded just BRUTAL. Good thing you were able to stay out of the hospital. that sounds like NOT A GOOD PLACE for you these days.
I'm thinking of you often, Suz, and praying that better days come your way soon.
MUCH LOVE,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Suz'.....thinking of you SOOOOO much today....but I think of you SOOOOOO much every day, all day. I hate that you are going through this and just wish there was a way that I could take it all away....but at least all this crap is taking away all of your cancer! That it is!!!! You are probably right in
the middle of infusion #3 as I write this....I know this one will be better. Wishing I was there with you so much.....it won't be long before we are together again for yet another sister therapy trip!!
I love you so much, Suz'....
Nancy

Jean said...

Hi Suzy -
Hope all goes well today with your infusion and your visit with Dr. Sprawls. We'll be anxiously awaiting word about it.
I hope you are feeling all the love that this whole wonderful family is sending your way. A LOT of that love is coming from us directly to you. Constantly.
More love and lots of hugs too!
Mom

Jean said...

Dear Suxy,
Two comments from me in one day! But I wanted to put it in writing that we and Nancy are ready, willing and able to be down there at any time to help out with whatever. Sister therapy and parent therapy! And Mexican Train! Just say the word, dear daughter Suzy, and we'll make it happen.
We love you-
Mom (and Free)

Stuart said...

Suzy,

I Love You!

So sorry you had to have such pain. That sucks! Hopefully, by the time Kenny returns, you'll be feeling better.

The new boat is exciting. That should bring you and Kenny many years of pleasure. Hopeful urge Russo-Savages will make their way to you some time in the next few years.

Donna and I are sitting in Logan Airport, waiting for our 7 PM flight to Norwich, UK via Amsterdam. Needless to say, we're excited.

Thinking of you.

Love,

Stuart