Friday, November 11, 2011

5 rads down, 25 to go......or 1 week down, 5 to go.......

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  ~Author Unknown

Happy Veteran’s Day on 11-11-11!  And a huge thank you to all of our veterans and troops past and present who have served and continue to serve our country!  We appreciate the sacrifices you and your families made/make for our freedom.

This past week wasn’t any too smooth, and the “daily thing” is getting old already.  I can’t believe I have 5 more weeks.  Actually, I should clarify this – my sessions with “Hal” were fine, but it’s the traveling and waiting that are getting to me.  I was initially told (many months ago) that the radiation appointments only take about 10 minutes.  I was very happy to hear that; I figured I could work that into my schedule without much problem.  However, that’s the actual “on-the-table” time – which, by the way, is 20 minutes, not 10 minutes.  Now let me tell you about the waiting time!  I put each visit on my stop watch this week – don’t ask me why – and on every day this week, it was an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 25 minutes from the time I walked in the front door until the time I walked out.  Add another 40 minutes (round trip) in driving time, and we’re talking over 2 hours of time.  Why does it take so long??  My appointments are all at 0900, which is the first appointment of the day.  On Monday, they had to double check all the measurements and setup stuff since it was my first day.  On Tuesday, I finally got on the table at 0950 (my appointment was at 0900 and was the first one of the day).  Well, guess what I found out?!  There has to be a doctor on site before they can administer treatment.  And you’ll never guess who the staff doctor is on Tuesday (and Thursday and Friday)!  Dr. A. L. Sprawls (where A. L. = Always Late)!  Yes, he was 50 minutes late on Tuesday.  Only 40 minutes late on Thursday.  On Friday (today), they asked me to switch my appointment to 1430 instead of 0900 – I wasn’t terribly happy about it, but there wasn’t much I could do about it.  And they were running 35 minutes behind – something to do with an Alzheimer’s patient they had problems with (totally understandable and acceptable).  Before Thursday’s appointment, I decided to take an Ativan (anti-anxiety), which helped tremendously.  I forgot to do that today.  (On Wednesday, I had to wait half an hour after my radiation to see the radiation oncologist; I’ll have to see her every Wednesday to discuss how things are going, etc.  So far, so good)  The technicians were also a little frustrated by having to wait for Dr. Sprawls, and they’ve talked to management about it.  Hopefully something will be done about it.  What, I don’t know.  Don’t get me wrong – he’s a great doctor, and I like him a lot.  In fact, he called me personally last night because I asked one of the nurses to ask him a question about something for me.  I expected the nurse to call me back with the answer, but Dr. Sprawls called me, which is above and beyond. 

Anyway, enough on the aggravating delays and the 2-hour chunk of time out of my day – every day for 6 weeks.  It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have to WORK in addition to doing the rads.  Oh yeah, I said enough on that, didn’t I?! 

I’ve had a long talk with myself and have decided that I’m not going to sweat the small stuff, there are a lot of people with a lot bigger problems than mine, it’s only a little time, and I’M ALIVE!  So that’s the attitude I’m maintaining, and it will help me get through the next 5 weeks....and beyond.  Six weeks of time is really just a small chunk of time in the great big scheme of things.  I CAN DO IT!  IT’S NO BIG DEAL!

While walking around the park on my daily walk yesterday afternoon, I concluded that I really love our lifestyle – you just have to be willing to live in 40 feet of space.  We’ve been living in 40 feet of space for 30+ years now, so it’s not a problem for us.  (Every once in awhile I wish I had a bigger closet!)  It’s really fun to “change scenery” every couple of months and see what the new parks and towns have to offer.  Here at Wickham Park (Melbourne), we have the King Center for Performing Arts right next door to the park.  Last night we went to a great show there – Spencer’s Theater of Illusion.  It was a really good magic/illusions show.  And we’re hoping to catch some more shows while we’re here.  Right here in the park this weekend is the Native Rhythms Festival – with live Native American music all weekend, arts & crafts, food, displays, demonstrations, etc.  We just got back from listening to some great music – sitting outside on lawn chairs.  We would have stayed longer except it was quite chilly – 59 degrees!  I know that’s not chilly for a lot of you, but it’s really cold for us!  So we only lasted an hour, even though I had 4 layers of clothes on, along with a fuzzy hat and gloves!  Tomorrow is another day and will hopefully be warmer.  The cool thing is that we can walk to the amphitheater/festival from our campsite.  On November 22nd, they start the Festival of Lights here in the park; the entire park will be all lit up with Christmas lights from 11/22 until after the 1st of the year.

Well, that’s enough rambling for today.  Once again, I want to thank you all so much for your love and support on this crazy journey of mine.  And thank you so much for all the wonderful blog comments, emails, cards, letters, and gifts.  Please know that it really means the world to me.  I read and take to heart everything that you write, and it really keeps me going!  Thank you so much!  Hugs to all of you!

You know you’re a cancer patient when….. you can shower faster than a man (because you have no hair to wash.....).

6 comments:

Stuart said...

Suzy,

Thank you so much for the update and the reflection on your lifestyle (living in a small space). The concept of moving from beautiful location to beautiful location with a different view and surroundings sounds great to me. How cool to have entertainment next door, even if it is 59 degrees outside.

2 hours out of every day for six weeks. Woah! That would be hard to accept. I hope it goes by quickly for you. I can only imagine the sense of relief you'll feel on the other end.

I have a beautiful quote for you for this change of seasons. Donna came across it earlier this week:

"I like spring, but it is too young. I like summer, but it is too proud. So I like best of all autumn, because its tone is mellower, its colours are richer, and it is tinged with a little sorrow. Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, nor the power of summer, but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. It knows the limitations of life and its content." Lin Yutang

No particular reason to share it with you other than the fact that I found it to be a beautiful description of autumn.

I Love You, Suzy.

Stuart

Penelope Z said...

Good morning, Suzy!

So nice to wake up to a new blog entry. Congratulations on getting through the first week! Any symptoms yet?

We've basically recovered from Storm Alfred, although there is still a LOT of roadside cleanup to be done. A few friends at work didn't get power back until Thursday 11/9 - almost 2 weeks. Our school missed a full week, but we made up 2 of the days this week by having school Thurs. and Friday when it wasn't originally scheduled.

Love you - and Ken - very much!

Penny

Jean said...

Dear Suzy,
Stuart's comment is a tough act to follow! Beautiful quote from Lin Yutang. Oh, a new entry just came in from Penny as I was writing. We ALL love reading your entries.

Talk about mood swings! I was feeling your anxiety right along with you until you had that talk with yourself, and then Voila! Life was better again. I can imagine how frustrating those waits must be, but- as you said - in the grand scheme of things they do fit into the "small stuff" category. Easy for me to say, eh?.
I can't even begin to imagine all that you're going through. Nor would I be able to cope with it as well as you are.

Your blog entries are wonderful, Suzy! Next best thing to being with you, and that can't come soon enough. Meanwhile, I hope you know how much we think about you, care about you, and love you! Kenny too!

Mom

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
We know that you know how much we all love you--we can see that in the blog entries!
I have nothing to say right this minute that would add to what what Mom already said! I just wanted to get in here and say:

I love you so much, and you are always in my mind.

Free

Wendy said...

Happy End-of-Rad-Week-One, Suzy!

We were so glad to read your news-of-the-week today, Suzy... it's good to hear that "Round 3" is starting off well (aside from Dr. A.L. continuing to earn his nickname). We can just picture you sitting out there listening to the Native Rhythms last night bundled up in lots of layers and your fuzzy hat and gloves. I like Mom's idea of posting photos of Hal and Dr. A.L. - we'll look forward to that if you can get some sometime (maybe with you in them, too?).

Have a good weekend today and tomorrow (do you think you can get by without visiting with Hal for a couple of days?). We're thinking of you all the time and sending you positive energy from the other corner of the country out here in Oregon.

We love you!

Jeff (and Wendy)

Anonymous said...

Hey Suz',
Lotsa good fun positive stuff this week to read in your blog...except the waiting for "Dr. Always Late!" Hopefully that will get better or you'll be able to figure his schedule out and possibly "avoid it?" Either way, the countdown has begun and I promise you, time will fly!!! Because we want it to be January 11th already, right??!! Can't wait! You sound so "at peace" with your life right now which is music to my ears. How can you not just love being able to turn a key and your house will just go anywhere your little heart desires??!! I am just elated that you and Kenny are able to share these wonderful experiences....and many more to come.
Thinking of you so so so much!!!
I love you, Nancy

(Enjoy those short showers...the hair is coming back!!!!! :) )