Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Back to the rat race......

Laugh your heart out.  Dance in the rain.  Cherish the moment.  Ignore the pain.  Live, laugh, love.  Forgive and forget.  Life’s too short to be living with regrets.  – Beauty, Brains, and Beyond

We had a great time in St. Augustine with our good friends, Debbie and Bill.  Debbie and I did our best to support the local economy with some serious retail therapy (a.k.a. ‘shopping’) while the guys went for a bike ride on the beach and took the dogs for long walks, etc.  On Saturday, the weather wasn’t very nice in the morning so we went to Ripley’s Believe It Or Not museum, which was pretty interesting, and then to Harry’s Seafood for lunch (one of our favorite places).  Saturday evening we went on a Ghost Train Adventure, which also was pretty interesting, although we didn’t see much “paranormal” activity.  We all had EMF meters to measure said activity, but the meters weren’t too active.  It was fun anyway.  On Sunday morning, we went for a nice walk on the beach.  It was VERY windy and quite chilly but really beautiful….with hardly a soul on the beach.  Then we all went into town for another nice lunch at a Cuban restaurant and then we caught the tail end of the Halloween parade – lots of cute costumes on kids, dogs, and adults.  Debbie and Bill had to leave Sunday afternoon to head back to Merritt Island, so Kenny and I went to Sangrias where they have a 2nd floor balcony overlooking St. George Street – the main pedestrian drag (no cars allowed).  It’s a great people-watching spot, so we got to see lots more costumes while having a glass of homemade Sangria and listening to some good live music.  Very fun afternoon.

Sadly, we had to pack up on Monday morning – in the rain – and head back to Brevard County ourselves.  It rained all the way home, but we arrived safely.  We actually stopped in Titusville and unhooked the car so I could go to my appointments.  Kenny continued on to Melbourne in the RV and got set up at our next campground.

Yes, it’s back to reality and the rat race of the medical world!  Yesterday I had 3 medical appointments – all at the same place, fortunately.  I had to have blood work (my INR dropped, which means another Coumadin adjustment), had to have my port flushed (needs to be done once a month), and had my pre-radiation ‘molding.’  As it turns out, the actual tattooing will come later this week or on Monday.  Right now I just have some blue crosses on my chest and abdomen, but they will actually be tattooing some “dots” in various places.  If I have to get a tattoo, it oughtta be something more interesting than a dot!  For the ‘molding,’ they rammed all this stuff up against me and then sucked the air out of it, which formed a kind of mold.  This is so I’ll be laying in the same position each time I go for a rad blast. 

They called me today and said I have to go in on Thursday for another pre-radiation appointment – for a “series of films” and possibly the tattooing?  And then on Friday I have an appointment with Dr. Sprawls about the DVT in my leg.  On Monday, radiation begins.  Oh, it was SO nice to be away from all of this for a few weeks!  I want to turn around and go back to the mountains!  No such luck. 

Our new campsite is pretty nice.  In fact, I think we have the best site in the park – nice and private and away from all the other sites.  Good bike riding and walking here.  And it will be a nice change of scenery for awhile.  We’ll stay here at least a month, maybe longer.  We’ll see how it goes. 

Kenny is anxious to go see his boat.  So he’ll go up to Merritt Island tomorrow and spend the day working on the boat.  Unfortunately, I have too much transcription to do to join him.  In fact, I’m pretty tired right now from typing most of the day today, so I’m going to head off to bed (with my Kindle, of course).  Hugs to everybody!

You know you’re a cancer patient when…… you see "BMX" and think bilateral mastectomy and not bicycle motocross racing. 

5 comments:

Jean said...

Hi Suzy -
As you know, we're on Cape Cod visiting our dear, 92-year old pal, Ruth Walker. The quote you have at the beginning of the blog entry today was very appropriate: "Life is too short to have regreats," or something like that. We have been regretting that we don't still live in this beautiful place, so near the majestic and mighty Atlantic Ocean. Our old house is still looking good. But we love Maine, I think. No regrets, right?
We are so glad your RV vacation went so well. You and Kenny needed that. Now it's back to reality with renewed vigor.
This is kinda short but I just wanted to mainly tell you how much we LOVE YOU and MISS YOU!!!
Mom

Stuart said...

Hi, Suzy!

Your description of St. Augustine brought back memories of staying there on the way home from Disney with the girls. We stayed at a hostel with a pirate theme. The kids still remember it.

It sounds like you've had a good time over the past week or so. That RV B&B sounds fantastic. I love it when total strangers treat you like family.

I hope the finger nails aren't too painful.

We love ou so much and think of you every day.

Love,

Stuart

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--

Mom and I just arrived home from the Cape--as you know, we had a good visit with our old Quanset Harbor friend, Ruth Walker, whose husband died several years ago.It was good to talk with you while we were on our way home.

We're shivering a bit while waiting for the house to warm up!

I'm glad you had a good and well-deserved vacation and are safely home and ready (although not exactly chomping at the bit!!)for the radiation session.

I love you so much--every passing day is one day closer to our Florida rendezvous!! Preceded, of course, by our Maine rendezvous in January! Lots to look forward to!

Free

Shirley said...

Hi Suzy,
We're trying to get Shirley set up so she can comment here. Hopefully it'll work!
Penny

Shirley said...

hi,Suzy,again!
It's a little later,now. Penny'sgone and I'm playing around with this new toy!!
Anyway, I'm glad you had such a happy time on vacation. You deserve the best, dear. I'm thinking of you and love you so very much.
Lots of love,
shirley