Monday, October 24, 2011

St. Augustine -- our last stop of the RV road trip before heading "home"

Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.  – Martin Luther King, Jr

Yesterday we arrived in St. Augustine (FL).  We lucked out and were able to get a walkup site for the whole week.  We actually had 2 different reservations – one for 2 nights and one for 3 nights (it’s VERY hard to get reservations here at Anastasia State Park, especially for big rigs; we’ve been trying for months).  Anyway, our good friends, Debbie and Bill, are coming up in their camper on Wednesday night, but we were going to have to leave and go to a different campground on Friday morning because we couldn’t get a reservation for the weekend.  So we were ecstatic when they had a walkup site yesterday.  Now we can stay until 10/31, which is when I have to be back in Titusville to be “tattooed and molded” before the start of radiation.  I’m not looking forward to the radiation at all, but I’m VERY much looking forward to being done with all the treatment. 

We had a nice stay in Appling, Georgia at a Corps of Engineers park on J. Strom Thurmond Lake.  Our site was overlooking the lake, which was really nice.  We weren’t able to spend too much time sitting outside at our site because the weather was quite windy and cold.  The lake is huge and beautiful – totally undeveloped.  We took a drive around the lower half of the lake – quite remote but very pretty countryside. 

I’ve been feeling pretty good this past week.  My current “annoyances” are my really ugly and totally black and blue fingernails.  They’re quite gross really – they look like part of a Halloween costume!  Kenny thinks I’ll be losing them; I hope he’s wrong.  My eyes are still constantly watering, and my nose is constantly running – 2 huge annoyances that I hope will dissipate SOON.  At least I’m feeling better, and my taste buds are starting to return to normal – not sure if that’s a good thing or not….LOL….I hope I don’t gain weight.  Now that I’m feeling better, I hope to get back into exercising again – at least some good walking and bike riding – as much as my leg can handle anyway.

It’s time to get the day started.  Not sure what we’ll do today – maybe start with a walk on the beach (the beach here is absolutely gorgeous!).  My work will start coming in/piling up later this afternoon, so I need to take advantage of a little bit of free time this morning.

I’m posting a few pictures of various parts of our trip (and one photo of my very ugly fingernails).  HUGS TO EVERYBODY! 

You know you're a cancer patient.....when you think a half inch of hair on your head is a fantastic thing. Before breast cancer, if your hairdresser had accidentally cut you that short, you'd be ready to sue.

Grand Ole Opry House

North Carolina Mountains

Lakes End Diner (in the mountains, on a lake) -- we stopped for lunch, and they had the Grand Ole Opry station on the TV and were playing the show we had missed!! (when I was in the ER) -- very cool!

In the beautiful North Carolina Mountains -- on the Cherohala Skyway Drive

Waterfalls on one of our scenic drives (if you look closely, you can see people behind the falls)

Our campsite at Cardinal Ridge RV&B -- wonderful place!

At Cardinal Ridge RV&B

At Cardinal Ridge, the entrance gate says "Welcome Home" -- they want you to feel like you've just arrived home, and they make you feel that way.

Our campsite at J. Strom Thurmond Lake (Petersburg Campground).  The lake is behind me, but you can't see it in the photo.

The beautiful fingernails!  Aren't they lovely??!!

6 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
Another great blog entry! What a wonderful interval for you and Kenny in the long saga of your recovery. I don't think your finger nails look that bad! The photos add a neat dimension to your trip.
All my love to you--
Free

Jean said...

Dear Suzy ---
I am so glad that this trip worked out so well for you and Kenny - after a rather inauspicious start. And now you're back in warm and sunny Florida and "feeling pretty good," and that makes ME feel pretty good too! ---- If you got $100 for every minute I think about you, you'd be a billionaire!
And that should tell you how often I think about you.
I love you very, very much!!!!!!!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz',
I hope you, Kenny and the kids are enjoying your time at Anastasia with Debbie and Bill! Have a wonderful relaxing weekend before you head home. I loved your pictures....so much fun stuff! I am just getting so darn excited about getting to see you in January......although, it's not soon enough!! But it sure gives me something to look forward to!
I love you tons,
Nancy

Wendy said...

Those nails look way better than my toenails look ALL the time (and they don't fall off)... so keep the faith, Suzy. Greetings from the Northwest! We're really glad to hear that you've been feeling better and have been able to have good and fun visits around the Southeast - nice photos! Have a good weekend, and have fun getting molded and tattooed (just in time for Halloween!) on Monday.

We love you,

Jeff (and Wendy)

Anonymous said...

Suz--
I agree, those fingernails do not look too bad! And they'll be a perfect part of your Halloween costume, if you have one. The photos are fun to look at. I'm hoping for the best for you over the next several months. I LOVE YOU!
--Becky
P.S. George sends his love, too.
P.P.S. We have a LOT of snow forecast for this weekend. It has already started!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Suzy!

Your pics are beautiful! The Grand Ol Opry is definitely on my bucket list... as is just getting to Nashville! I'm glad you and Kenny are getting to see all that this beautiful country has to offer. Stay positive and know I send all my love and strength!

Love you,

Kellye