Monday, August 22, 2011

The boat is on its way!

You know you’re a cancer patient……when you are bald and have no eyebrows or eyelashes and people say, "You look good!"

I find that the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.  – Oliver Wendell Holmes

I guess I’ve been kind of slacking off in posting on my blog.  Not too much to report really.  I did have Taxotere #6 – 6 down/6 to go – last Wednesday.  I saw Katie, the nurse practitioner, beforehand and she said to be sure to let her know if I experience the really severe abdominal pain.  Fortunately, I didn’t get the really bad stuff.  I had “waves” of severe abdominal pain off and on over the weekend, but they would usually only last about 10 seconds and then subside.  I would just grit my teeth and clench my fists and wait for the pain to go away.  Luckily it didn’t happen too often – maybe a total of 15-20 times between Friday and Monday.  Between that and feeling nauseous most of the weekend, I didn’t get much done.  I did go out to dinner with friends Friday night, which was fun and the highlight of my weekend.  I also had a bunch of extra transcription I had to do over the weekend because one of the nurse practitioners was almost 3 weeks behind, and she dumped it all in there this weekend.  Since I didn’t have any plans, and Ken and Fred were gone on the boat, I was able to get most of it done – in between naps, of course -- and with some help from my "girls."  Took a 3-hour nap on Saturday and a 2-hour nap on Sunday – and I’m already looking forward to a nap today.  Turning into such a lightweight.

Fred arrived Thursday afternoon.  I drove Ken over to the Orlando airport where he picked up a rental car and Fred.  As I was driving back from the airport, I was really glad that I decided not to drive them to Jacksonville – that we would get a rental car instead – because I was getting tired just in the 40 miles from Orlando.  We had a nice evening visiting with Fred.  Went to Paul’s Smokehouse (on the river) for dinner and then came back to the RV and chatted for awhile.  Ken and Fred got on the road to Jax around 8:30 Friday morning.  They made a couple of stops on the way but still got up there before noon.  They got the boat read for the big adventure, went and got groceries, returned the rental car, etc.  And they got underway Saturday morning at 0740.  The spent Saturday night at anchor somewhere a little south of St. Augustine.  They spent last night at anchor somewhere around Daytona, and they’re not sure where they’ll spend tonight.  They’re trying to make as much progress as they can so they can get back here and get the boat all tied up and secure – in time for Hurricane Irene!!  What timing!!  Geez!!  And we had hoped to take the boat out for a little cruise this weekend. 

I guess I don’t have much other news to report so I will post this on my blog.  Taxotere #7 is scheduled for Wednesday morning. 


6 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
I'm glad to read your latest blog, see that you're half way through the chemo, and that there are currently no new bumps in the road,although I'm sorry you still experience the abdominal pains occasionaly, even though they are brief. I know you'll be glad to see the "boys"safely back, with the new boat securely tied up and ready for the effects of the impending hurricane.
I love you a whole big lot--

Freeland

Penelope Z said...

Good to hear that the boat is en route. What's the prediction for this storm?

We Ziarniks are sending love you way dearie!

Xoxoxoxo

Penny

Stuart said...

Suzy,

So good to hear that #6 went better than the previous 5. Wishing that each treatment gets a bit easier from here on out.

I imagine the boat is home by now, or close to it. So nice of Fred to come down and help out.

We think of you all of the time and are sending positive energy your way.

We're off to Portland today to meet up with Delia as she returns from her hiking trip and prepares to start school. Should be a fun time. Hoping to meet up with brother Jeff as well as Andrew, Carrie, Bridget, and Andy this week for dinner. I'll try to get photos on Facebook as we go.

We LOVE you! Give Kenny a big hug and Fred a high five for Yeoman's work - what a helpful guy!

Love,

Brother Stuart

Jean said...

Sending you tons of love as you head out for chemo #7 today, Suzy. And may those nasty side effects stay away forever! --- So glad "the boys" made it back safely and that Kenny is pleased with the way the still-to-be-named boat handles. Hope Irene stays far away from your shores - and the rest of the east coast as well.
I love you, Suzy, and am thinking about you constantly -
Mom

Rebecca said...

Hi Suz--
I'll second that-- hope your treatment today goes as smoothly as can be expected. No more of those nasty side effects! All I will tolerate on your behalf is mild fatigue. Even that is nasty, I can imagine, for you who is accustomed to being so productive.
I will be going back to work today. Have mixed feelings about that, as you can imagine. Anyway, I'm still sending those positive vibrations, Suzy. I LOVE YOU.
Your loving step sister,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Good morning Suzy.....I want to wish you a quick and easy Taxotere #7 session today and hope the SEs never come!! Just know I am thinking of you so much today and I hope you, Kenny and Fred enjoy a nice afternoon together. I guess the next couple of days will be spent wondering where lovely Irene is going to hit.....hopefully it will slide right by and head east....meaning out to sea!
You're always the first thing on my mind when I wake up, Suz'....and I am always praying for a good day for you....and I know today will be!
I love you!
Nancy