Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tomorrow is the halfway mark for Taxotere......

You know you’re a cancer patient when……. you stand out on the deck and watch a rotating thunderhead pass right over you because things that used to frighten you now just fill you with awe.

With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.  ~Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Just a quick note on the eve of Taxotere #6 (yup, the halfway mark of Taxotere) to let you know I’ve been feeling good.  I had a good weekend with just a few waves of abdominal pain – they were severe when they happened, but they only lasted seconds…..not days…..and I survived them without any problem.  In fact, I never even mentioned them to Ken (even though I almost drove off the road during one -- not really -- and he was in the passenger seat) because I didn’t want him to worry.
 
On Friday night, we went out for Mexican food with Debbie, Bill, and their friend, Frank, to celebrate Bill’s birthday.  It was actually a small surprise party for him, and all the people who work in his office and their friends were there, too.  It was pretty hilarious because, even after Bill saw them, he thought they were just coincidentally eating there, too!  He had no idea they were there for him!  It was a fun evening!

We went to the beach on Sunday afternoon and had a nice relaxing time there.  Went swimming and boogie boarding (didn’t even lose my foobs!), sat under the umbrella and people-watched for awhile.  On the way home, we stopped at Crackerjacks – the tiki bar on the river and listened to some good live music and had a margarita.

Yesterday I went to a couple of thrift shops looking for a few pots and pans for the boat but didn’t have any luck.  Went to Walmart to get a mask, fins, and snorkel for Ken in case he needs to get in the water for anything during the boat trip (hope not).  And then I came home and took a nap!  Geez!  I go to 3 stores and it wears me out!  Today was much better, though.  I felt a lot less tired today.  Of course, I didn’t do much, although we got the laundry done and I worked until 1815. 

The big boat trip will commence this weekend.  Ken’s brother, Fred, has kindly volunteered to fly down from Rhode Island and make the trip with Ken.  Thank you, Fred!  Fred arrives on Thursday, they’ll go up to Jacksonville on Friday, and hopefully they’ll leave the dock on Saturday morning.  Hopefully it will be an uneventful – and maybe even fun? – trip.  Smooth sailing, guys.  Hope everything goes well.

Here it is almost 2000, so it’s time for me to call it a day.  Work tomorrow morning, chemo tomorrow afternoon (1400).  Here’s hoping for another week of no major SEs! 

5 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--

Thanks for the blog update!It's good that the abdominal pains are significantly less painful than they've been in the past, and that you've reached the half way point for the final chemo session.I love the introductory sayings, and I love you so much--
Free

Jean said...

Dear Suzy,
We, too, are hoping for another week of no major SEs. This round of chemo is supposed to be "milder" than the beginning regimen, so it's about time it lived up to that, wouldn't you say?
Too bad you can't be on the maiden voyage (for you and Ken) of your new boat (named yet?) but there will be lots of other opportunities after it has reached its home port. WE are looking forward to a cruise next March when we're down there!
I love you, Suzy, and you are ALWAYS in my thoughts.
Mom

Rebecca said...

So GLAD to hear that the abdominal pains are not as bad as they were, Suzy. I guess the adjustment in your medications had something to do with that. You are in my thoughts so often. Sorry that you will not be on the boat trip. 'Tis great that Ken's brother can help out. I LOVE YOU, SUZY.
Yours,
Becky

Penelope Z said...

Hi Suzy,
Just read your latest post - I'm kind of snowed under in Tucson, packing up my mom-in-law's house before the movers arrive.

How did yesterday go? My fingers and toes are crossed. Maybe I should cross my eyes, too!!!

Love you,
Penny

Anonymous said...

I just read your latest blog, Suz'..... a bit late, I must say but it doesn't mean I wasn't thinking SUPERB positive thoughts of you yesterday while going through chemo #6...yahoo, half way through this crazy road to freedom...meaning free from the big ugly nasty C!!!! Hope you're feeling well today....and better tomorrow as you send off the boys! Wishing I was down there for some girl time while the boys are gone....darn! We'll make up for it when we have our next sister therapy....soon!!!
I love you, Nancy