Thursday, August 4, 2011

Congratulations to Becky and George!


You know you’re a cancer patient when…….you wish you still had bad hair days...... 

When life gives you a 100 reasons to cry, show life you have 1000 reasons to smile.  – Unknown

Today was the day of the “big event.”  My sweet stepsister, Becky, married her “beau,” George.  We are all so excited for them and so happy to have George (a fabulous dude) an “official” member of the family!  Wishing you guys many, many years of happiness together!  Kenny and I were very sad that we couldn’t be at the wedding/family reunion of sorts, but we just couldn’t make it happen with my current circumstances.  SOOOO, we did what we could – we went to Paul’s Smokehouse, a restaurant/bar on the Indian River in Titusville, at 1700 (the time of the wedding), and had a margarita in their honor!  It was NOT the same as being there, but we did the best we could.  And we were thinking of them and toasting to them at their very special time.  As I write this, I hope they all are having a wonderful evening celebrating together. 

I had my appointment with Dr. Sprawls yesterday.  Had to have blood work and a urinalysis done beforehand.  When I came out of the restroom and handed the girl “the cup,” she said, “You can go right into room 5, and Dr. Sprawls is in there waiting for you!”  OMG!  I was shocked.  I kept Dr. Always Late waiting!  And I actually felt terrible about it…..seriously.  (I was way early for my appointment, so I don’t know how that happened).  I walked in the room and apologized profusely for keeping him waiting.  He about laughed his head off.  Anyway, it was a jovial way to start the appointment.  As for the abdominal pain, he’s pretty baffled about it.  He thinks I might be in a rare category of people who have rare side effects to Taxotere.  Not unheard of, just not common.  He still wanted to skip the chemo yesterday since I still wasn’t feeling all that great.  We’ll do another Taxotere next week and see what happens.  If no side effects, we’ll forge on.  If severe abdominal pain, we’ll consider switching to Taxol.  I did tell him that if he thinks Taxotere is what I need and is the most effective protocol for my diagnosis, etc., then I could tolerate the side effects.  It’s only brutal/unbearable for about 48 hours.  Then there’s an additional 2-3 days where the discomfort is there, but it’s tolerable.  Anyway, we’ll just take it one step at a time and go from there.  I’m a third of the way through this protocol…..only 2/3 left to go.  That’s no so bad, is it?!  Of course, it’s easy for me to say that now because I’m not in pain at the moment.  I don’t think I could have said that on Sunday night or Monday.  My white count was low again at 3.62, but Dr. Sprawls wasn’t worried about it.  He said, “That’s not low.  We know what low is around here, don’t we?!”  I said, “Yup, been there, done that.”  However, I’m not happy being below the low end of normal.  Just have to take extra precautions.

I’m getting a little frustrated by my lack of stamina/energy/motivation.  Today I was feeling pretty lethargic and just couldn’t get motivated to do anything.  I know part of the problem was feeling sad about not being at Becky and George’s wedding and being with all the family, etc.  Another part of the problem is that I’m just so intolerant of the heat now – never used to be that way.  Anyway, I tried to go for a walk this afternoon and only made it about 15 minutes.  Then I had the brilliant idea to take a lounge chair down by the river and read for awhile.  Now THAT was wonderful!  There was a beautiful breeze, no mosquitos (don’t know where they were hiding, but it was most enjoyable), and I watched a pod of about 10 dolphins playing in the water.  It was lovely.  Couldn’t get a good photo of the dolphins, but I got a picture of my lounge chair, so you can get an idea of the beautiful setting.  That’s right here in the campground – just a short walk from our campsite. 

I guess I don’t really have too much other news.  I already have my PJs on, and I think it’s time to climb into bed and read for a short while.  For the most part, I’m feeling pretty good…..just not my usual self.  Really looking forward to feeling great again……I know it’s just around the corner……..


My chair down by the river

View from my chair (including my feet) and VAB on other side of river -- nice place to read a book, eh?

A margarita for Becky and George at Paul's Smokehouse


5 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
It's now about 4:30 PM on Friday--warm and partly cloudy and Mom and I have been home for an hour or two. We're relaxing after a busy, hectic and delightful Connecticut visit with much loved family members plus friends of Becky and George, marred only by the absence of four very important members--you and Kenny, and Stuart and Donna. You were in the hearts and minds of so many people, all wishing for your complete recovery soon---Mom and I most of all.
I love you -
Free

Stuart said...

Suzy,

Even though I was in such a beautiful place, I felt the sadness of not being with Becky & George yesterday, too. It was nice to call and wish them well and to know Emma, Delia, and Lily could be there with the rest of the family but I had strong pangs of missing such a special event.

I love you, Suzy, and am wishing you much less pain and discomfort as you make this journey.

Love,
Stuart

Jean said...

Hi Suzy -
Well we've chatted and e-mailed many times in the last few days but I just wanted to pop in here to your blog and "officially" tell you how much I love you and how proud we all are of the way you're dealing with everything. You are an amazing and wonderful daughter!
More love and many hugs too!
Mom

Penelope Z said...

Hi Suzy!
Wow! What a lovely place to sit and read. I think if those were MY shoes in the photo, I'd just be sitting and looking, not reading.

Becky and George's wedding was wonderful - we all missed you and Becky spoke longingly of you during a short speech she made.

We're starting our 5th and last week here in Maine. I'm sad that it's ending but so grateful to be able to spend so much time here.

What day is your next chemo? I'll be thinking of you (like I do each and every day, sister!)

Love, Penny

Anonymous said...

Good morning sister Suzy....and I really do hope it is a good morning for you!!! I also hope this one goes through....I have written two comments to you on your blog only to have them disappear when I tried to send them!! Both times I was in a hotel so I guess I have myself to blame for all of the wild and crazy traveling I've been doing, right?? Anyway, not an hour goes by that I am not thinking of you. I am so glad you are having an "up" week....keep it up!! We missed you beyond what words can say last Thursday evening at Becky and George's wedding. It was a wonderful event but it was blatantly obvious you and Kenny (and Stuart and Donna) were missing. You are in so many hearts, Suz'.....you must feel the vibes. I love you so much...Nancy