Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Enjoying ourselves in Franklin, NC

Boy, I've been terrible about keeping up my blog, haven't I??!  So sorry.  Been too busy having fun!  We're at a wonderful little "campground" in Franklin, NC called Cardinal Ridge Farm RV and B -- a very unique and wonderful concept.  The owners, Kathy and Kenny, are absolutely fabulous people and have bent over backwards to make our stay SOOOO enjoyable.  They've mapped out scenic drives for us to take, stops to make along the way, places for lunch, places for the best ice cream (I know, I'm not supposed to have ice cream, but it sure was delicious!  It was a local creamery where they raise their own cows, make their own milk, cheese, ice cream, etc.).  And Kathy has made 4 or 5 calls to the local hospital about me getting my blood work done there -- will they accept my insurance, will they accept out-of-state doctor's orders, what time does the lab open.  I just can't say enough about this place and about Kathy and Kenny -- we feel like we've known them for years.  They're really laid back, easy-going people.  Oh, I forgot to mention that they have chickens and geese and bees, too.  And they put together an unbelievable breakfast (which is the "B" of RV and B) -- very delicious and a nice variety.  Kathy also feeds the wild deer every night -- she spreads corn beside the driveway, and all the deer come out of the woods to eat, along with some wild turkeys.  Quite a sight.  The views are spectacular, and there are lots of trails for walking.  There's also a gazebo up on a "ledge," which is a wonderful place to watch the sunset over the mountains while having a glass of wine.  I wish we lived closer -- we would visit often!  We're going to be very sad to leave tomorrow.  But it's time to start our trek south.  We'll be heading to a Corps of Engineers park on J. Strom Thurmond lake in Appling, GA for a few days and then on to St. Augustine before heading home. 

I've been feeling pretty good for the last few days.  I think a lot of it has to do with this great place we're staying, with the wonderful hospitality, and the cool clear mountain air.  We've taken some beautiful scenic drives through the mountains -- narrow, winding, mountainous roads with spectacular views and awesome fall colors.  We don't have ANY fall in Florida, so we're REALLY enjoying the cool weather and the fall foliage. 

I had my blood work done this morning at the local hospital.  Unfortunately, the hospital wasn't in my network, so I had to pay for it, but there's a lot to be said for convenience and "getting it done."  I needed to have my INR checked in case the Coumadin had to be adjusted again.  Lo and behold, my INR was perfect -- 2.5!  The goal is to have it between 2 and 3.  So I'll continue on with my current dose, and I don't have to have blood work done for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. 

My leg is slowly (very slowly) getting less swollen and less painful.  I'm SOOO glad the Lovenox injections are finished -- they were awful.  I hate taking warfarin (Coumadin), which somebody pointed out to me is actually rat poison(!) -- what's a little more poison in my body after 6 months of chemotherapy??!!  UGH!  And I absolutely hate wearing the compression stockings!  Have I said these things before?  I guess I'm sounding like a broken record.  I'll try not to harp on that anymore.

Okay, I'm headed to bed.  Been up since 0430 because I had a bunch of transcription to do, which I didn't finish, so I guess I'll be up at that hour again tomorrow.  Nighty nite.......

5 comments:

Jean said...

Oh Suzy, it does my heart good to read a blog entry like that - to know all is well with you and that you and Kenny have been thoroughly enjoying your sojourn in TN and NC. Your "campground" hosts sound delightful, as does the place itself. Have a safe trip back to Florida. Hopefully it will be cooler and less rainy there than it was when you left a couple of weeks ago.
I love you very much!!!!!!!!!
Mom

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
I'm a "happy camper" this morning, after reading your latest blog entry!It's so good to know that you and Kenny are enjoying yourselves in such scenic surroundings, with a minimum of
medical stuff to keep up with.
We know this is a "holiday" you'll never forget.
I love you so much--
Free

Anonymous said...

Wow! That spot sounds idyllic! You sure deserve it, after the last few weeks and months.

I love you, dearie.

Penny

Anonymous said...

Suzy,
Glad you're FINALLY getting a break and feeling better, physically and mentally. Good people sure do make a difference! And it's good the drugs are doing what they're supposed to.
Carrie's in GA this week; doing a couple of wine tastings with a distributor from Atlanta. But I don't think she'll be anywhere near Appling!
Hope your stay there is another good one.
Love you, Wendy

Anonymous said...

Suzy--
Sounds like your spirits are in a much better place, and I'm so glad. The people who run the RV and B sound like just who you and Kenny could use at this point. I'm glad you're feeling better, and remember we're thinking of you every day, and sending those good ole' positive vibes..
MUCH LOVE,
Becky and George.