Friday, June 24, 2011

Feeling discouraged.....

Well, I’ve been holding off posting a blog until I got out of this “mental slump” I’ve been in all week.  But, it’s not happening, so I figured I should post a few words as an update.  Needless to say, I was elated to be discharged from the hospital.  But getting so sick really zapped me physically and mentally.  The physical part is slowly coming around, but I just can’t seem to get the mental thing on the right track.  Just feeling really discouraged, I guess.  I know I’ll get out of this hole – I’ve been here before – and found my way out before.  I’m still really tired from the whole physical aspect of it, too, so that doesn’t help.

Anyway, I had another blood draw on Wednesday, and we met with the oncologist yesterday – a hospital followup.  The numbers continued to improve, and the white count was in the normal range for a change.  Yay!!  Everything else looked pretty good, too.  Onco man said I was doing much better, but I wasn’t quite “there” yet.  I still need to get my strength back and give my body a little more time before injecting the next regimen of poison.  Originally I was supposed to start the Taxotere yesterday, but he pushed it back another 2 weeks.  July 6th is the new start date.

He also strongly encouraged exercise.  I’ve been finding it hard to get motivated these days with a constant underlying nauseous feeling.  BUT, I forced myself today – went for a 30-minute walk around the campground and then went and swam 20 laps in the pool and walked 10 more laps in the pool.  Now I just need to stay motivated and keep it up.  I know work will get in the way, but I should just make myself set aside some time every day to get some sort of exercise. 

Here it is, not even 1900, and I’m ready to crawl into bed.  Think I just might do that.  Another thunderstorm is on its way, so I’ll lie in bed with my Kindle and listen to the sweet sound of rain on the roof.

3 comments:

Penelope Z said...

Hi Suzy,

I can certainly understand how you would be feeling down, after being so sick. Frankly, I'm amazed at how positive you sound, even when you're down.

I hope that you continue to improve, both physically and mentally.

Love you muchly!

Penny

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
Mom and I just arrived home from the Kingfield Pops program--it was great, with the new symphony conductor and several other musical groups, but the Herbert Grand Hotel was terrible--more about that another time!
I just read your latest blog input, and was sorry that you were feeling discouraged mentally, even though the oncologist says you're "nearly there" physically. I suspect that it is inevitable for you to feel that way from time to time-----
NEWS FLASH!!! LO AND BEHOLD, WE JUST FINISHED TALKING TO YOU!!
It meant a lot to us to hear your voice and realize that you are feeling "pretty well" today! You must feel a certain amount of relief, knowing that you have a few days before you enter the next (and last?) session of chemo, and its severity level is less than the previous ones.
I love you so much, Suzy--

Free

Jean said...

Dear Suzy,
After returning from a weekend in Kingfield and reading your latest blog entry, I was trying to figure out how I was going to comment on it, something that would cheer you up. Then your phone call came with the good news that you're feeling much better and ohwhatareliefitis to both of us! We were almost ready to pack our bags and head south to try to come up with a magic formula that would zap any negative feelings you have and accentuate the positive. Well, you figured it out all by yourself. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it! I can't begin to imagine what you're going through but please know that we are thinking about you constantly. All of us at the Pops concert talked about how amazing and wonderful you are and sent lots of positive thoughts and love your way. You must have them by now!
I love you, Suzy -
Mom