Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ocean therapy is sublime.......

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it is going to be a butterfly.  – R. Buckminster Fuller

Our little “mini vacation” in St. Augustine has been really wonderful.  Can’t really call it a vacation because I’ve still had to do my transcription.  However, since Monday was a holiday, I had a tiny bit less work this week than I normally would have had.  We’ve gone to the beach – gorgeous beach – every day.  And we’ve gone swimming in the ocean every day.  Just being on the beach watching and listening to the surf is so relaxing and calming and therapeutic.  We’re truly dreading leaving this little paradise and going back to “reality.”  Next week is going to be a really rough week.  Monday will be spent packing up and driving back to Brevard County (Merritt Island).  Then I have an ultrasound on Tuesday, a blood draw on Wednesday, chemo on Thursday, and Neulasta on Friday (the latter two of which are pretty much guaranteed to make me feel lousy next weekend).  HOWEVER, that will be my final round of the A/C regimen.  Yahoo!!  Hip hip hooray!  That will be a huge milestone in my book when that’s over and done with. 

Believe it or not, my hair is starting to grow back already.  I’m still pretty bald (no, not pretty……I mean, quite bald), but there is some peach fuzz starting to show up!  I’m pretty excited about that.  Now if the boobs would just grow back!  Just kidding.  Don’t even miss ‘em, and I LOVE "no more bras."  I just wish the numbness would go away under my arms and across my chest.  That might never happen, though.  Oh well, can’t have everything.

This morning we went to see Born To Be Wild in 3D at the IMAX theater.  It was really excellent, and I highly recommend it to everybody who might have an IMAX theater nearby where it might be playing.  In a nutshell, it is about 2 women – one who rescues orphaned elephants in Kenya and one who rescues orphaned orangutans in Borneo.  They raise the orphans until they are old enough and capable enough to survive in the wild on their own.  Incredible story.  And the 3D feature made you feel like you were right there. 

Well, I guess it’s time to call it another day.  Hate to do so because that only leaves one day left here.  We’re just going to set our sights on truly enjoying the day tomorrow, and we will try NOT to think about the reality of next week.

And I hope you all truly enjoy your day tomorrow, too.  Hugs all around……  
Ken and Suzy at Conch House Marina -- St. Augustine

Ken and Suzy at Saltwater Cowboys restaurant -- hate the wig; only the 2nd time I've worn it (probably the last time, too)

Our chairs on the beach at Anastasia -- paradise!



2 comments:

Jean said...

Paradise indeed, Suzy! I'm so glad you and Ken had this break in your medical routine. Love the photos! You both look great. Sounds like we'll be wearing our "Support Suzy" earrings all next week, with that busy schedule coming up. 'Tis good the A/C regimen is coming to an end. Progress! And you're continuing to handle it all in your own wonderful, inimitable way. I've said this a zillion times, but we are so proud of you!
And love you very much...
Mom (and Free)

Jean said...

Dear Suzy --
I sometimes think of you as a disciplined soldier with a three-way approach to your life. First and foremost is your approach to restoring your health following your bout with cancer. Second (to my way of thinking) is savoring the joys of your life every day to the maximum extent compatible with your first priority. Third is keeping up with your medical transcription tasks.
Again (to my way of thinking), the job you do in balancing these areas is without parallel.
I love you and you are in my thoughts every day.
Free