Monday, May 16, 2011

Endeavor's last launch a success!

The last launch of Shuttle Endeavor was a success!  Unfortunately, we didn't see ANY of it due to extremely heavy cloud cover.  However, we did hear it, and the sound was mighty impressive.  Just very disappointing not to be able to see it.  We should have watched it on TV instead of walking over to the river hoping for a glimpse of it.  Oh well....so it goes.....just glad they had a successful liftoff.  Hope they have a successful mission and a safe trip home.  And hopefully there will be one more shuttle launch before the shuttle program is forever gone. 

As you might have guessed, I'm back in Florida now, and Nancy is back in San Diego.  We had such a wonderful week together -- sure hated to see it end.  We both shed a few tears at the airport -- hate goodbyes.  Kenny picked me up at the Orlando airport around 1400 and then we stopped at the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp on the way home for some gator tail and a beer.  It was a beautiful afternoon, so we sat outside overlooking the St. John's River.  Saw a couple of gators swim by.....felt kinda guilty eating gator tail in their presence.....but it was so tender and delicious.

Got the results of my blood work this morning, and my white count was in the "happy range" of normal.  A few other counts were low, but the doctor's office didn't call me to say I should be worried about anything, so I'm assuming everything is okay.  And I feel really good, so everything MUST be okay, right?!  I'll have another blood draw on Thursday and then chemo #3 on Friday, followed by Neulasta on Monday. 

Just got off the phone with Wuesthoff Hospital (where I had the mastectomy on 2/25).  I've been fighting with them trying to get the $1400 I had to pay before they would schedule the surgery (way back in February).  They said that was the amount I still owed on my deductible (at that time), which they made me pay even though I knew my deductible would be met before they submitted their bills.  Anyway, Wuesthoff was bought out by a for-profit organization last fall, and everything is totally screwed up.....near as I can tell.  After many phone calls to them, I finally faxed them a copy of the Explanation of Benefits 2 weeks ago, which showed that my insurance company had paid them, so I finally got them to realize that they owe me the $1400.....and that I  need it NOW to pay other bills.  They said it was approved and I should have had the check last week.  Guess what?!  There was no check last week!  What a surprise!  Well, it turns out the refund was reversed because there just so happens to be another Suzanne Carpenter -- with an outstanding balance on her account, so some idiot applied the money to HER account....even though the middle initial, DOB, SSN, etc. are different.  So now they have to get the money out of her account and send everything back through accounting.....AGAIN!  So MAYBE I'll see the money in another week or two.....if I'm lucky.  Why am I writing all this in my blog anyway?!  I guess I felt like venting because I'm SOOOO frustrated by this whole thing.  They've had my money for almost 3 months, and I'm tired of fighting to try to get it back.  If it was only $50 or $100, I wouldn't be quite as upset, but $1400 is a lot of money.  Okay, enough on that subject.....

I guess I'd better go do something else to take my mind off this issue.  This is stressing me out too much, and stress is not a good thing.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy,
No, stress is NOT a good thing. I hope that nasty situation is resolved soon. Meanwhile, accentuate the positives in your life! Easy for me to say, eh? Actually I'm having a similar problem with my Medigap insurance company. They owe me a few hundred dollars from 2009. Too complicated a situation to go into here but I can relate to how frustrated you feel about it.
Glad you and Nancy had such a good time in Texas. Those good time days fly by much too quickly, though, don't they? --- Also happy to hear that your white cell count is in the normal range, and that you feel "really good."
I love you!
Mom

Stuart said...

Another reason why a single payer health care system is the way to go. This is the last thing you need to be dealing with, Suzy. So frustrating

That's the end of my editorial for today. My apologies to those who may disagree.

I'm hoping this gets settled quickly. I wish there was some way you could cash the check twice!

I Love You!

Stuart