Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sister Therapy is wonderful!

I have found that if you love life, life will love you back. -Arthur Rubinstein

Nancy and I arrived safely in San Antonio, Texas on Mother’s Day.  We both had uneventful flights – thankfully – although the security line at the Orlando airport was incredibly long.  I was very thankful I was no longer in the Merchant Marine flying to various corners of the world and dealing with all the inherent airport hassles, etc. 

I had about a 3-hour wait in San Antonio for Nancy’s plane to arrive.  Unfortunately, the only place to get something to eat (without going through security) was Starbucks, which isn’t my “cup of tea.”  So I got a bottle of water and a small bag of popcorn and set about reading my Kindle.  The book was really good, so the time elapsed fairly quickly.  It was SOOOO wonderful to see Nancy when she finally arrived!  We picked up our rental car and headed to the J.W. Marriott San Antonio Resort and Spa.  Oh my!  This place is absolutely fabulous, and we have an “executive suite” with a connecting room!  Doesn’t get much better than this.  It was late afternoon by the time we checked in (after stopping at the grocery store to pick up some wine and snacks).  That evening we went down and enjoyed the hot tub for a little while, which was so nice and relaxing.

Yesterday we spent a couple of hours in the morning doing transcription training.  In the afternoon, we drove into downtown San Antonio and walked along the riverwalk, which is a very cool place with lots of little restaurants right along the “canal.”  We took a guided boat ride of the canal/river and learned some of the local history, which was quite fun.  We also walked around the city a bit and went to the Alamo – very interesting.  We did some more walking over to the Tower of the Americas – a very tall tower with a revolving Chart House at the top.  We had a glass of wine at the bar and had a spectacular view of the city.  Unfortunately, only the restaurant revolves/rotates; the bar stays in one place, but it was still a nice view.  Then we walked back to the riverwalk area and had a bite to eat at the Iron Cactus, a neat little Mexican restaurant with an outside patio right beside the canal.  It was a very fun afternoon.

This morning I had several hours of transcription to do, which I just finished a little while ago.  Now we’re thinking of going out and doing a little shopping (because it's a very overcast day -- what better thing to do on an overcast day -- retail therapy!).  Then we'll come back to the room later on for some more transcription training. 

I’ve been feeling GREAT – the best I have felt since chemo #2 – so the timing of this trip was perfect.  And the Sister Therapy is out of this world!  I’m LOVING it! 


Well, that catches you up on things for now.  It’s time for us to go out and have some more fun!

4 comments:

Jean said...

Hi Suzy -
At last - another long-awaited installment of your wonderful blog! Of course we've talked to both of you a couple of times since you've been there but it's also nice to see everything in print. I am SO glad the Sister Therapy is all you had hoped it would be, and more. Not too surprising, considering who the sisters are! That executive suite sounds magnificent! If Freeland weren't having cataract surgery tomorrow we might have flown down to participate in your fun-filled week.
Keep having fun - we'll be thinking of you both! As we always are....
I love you!
Mom

Jean said...

Dear Suzy and Nancy--
Once again, Mom said it all for both of us!
It makes me sorry that my cataract got in the way--I'm looking forward (not) to a month of Mom putting drops in my right eye 4 times a day!
You both deserve the mini-vacation you're enjoying for these few days.
I love you both--
Freeland

Anonymous said...

Sister Therapy is indeed wonderful!!! It works both ways, Suz'.....it's great to be here with you spending time just being together. It is the best to see you feeling so well.....I can't ask for a better gift. You look so healthy and happy....which I'm sure can be contributed to your positive upbeat attitude! Every day you wake up with a smile on your face.....not one ounce of whining or complaining, just a happy sister sharing the day with me! Amazing!! I'm looking forward to a few more days with you....in cloudy, cool and sometimes rainy San Antonio Texas!! The weather doesn't matter....it's all about the company...and I have the best!!! Love you so much Suz'!!

Stuart said...

What great photos! Looks like I'll have to put Texas on my list of places to visit! It is so good to know you're feeling well. As I'm writing this on Saturday (5/14) we're sitting around our heater (propane "wood" stove) as it's dreary and cool outside. It looks warm there.

All the Russo-Savages are home now. I drove down Thursday night, picked up Emma and returned Friday morning before going to work. Plenty of driving but it's wonderful to have her home again.

We LOVE You!

Stuart

Love,

Stuart