Friday, May 27, 2011

We're in St. Augustine for some R&R......

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.  – John Wooden

We met with the radiation oncologist on Wednesday.  The good news is that we liked her and the physician assistant very much – both were very friendly, likeable, and knowledgeable.  The bad news is that I thought I would be doing the radiation at the same time as the next chemo regimen – I could swear that is what the medical oncologist told me on several occasions.  Not so.  I will have to do the next chemo regimen in its entirety, which will probably start on June 24th (give or take a few days) and will last for 12 weeks.  Then I wait a month – to give my poor abused body some healing/recuperation time – and THEN start radiation.  The radiation will be every day (M-F) for 6 weeks.  It was kind of devastating news because I had gotten in my brain that I would be all finished with this sh*t (pardon my language, but I’m a little frustrated) in the middle of September.  Now it’s going to drag on until the end of November!  Eeeh gads!  What a long year.  Hopefully 2012 will be a much better year. 

There was one other tidbit of good news gleaned during our appointment on Wednesday and that is that Space Coast Cancer Center (the group I go to) is opening a new office in Viera in a couple of weeks.  They are going to have the latest and greatest, state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line radiation equipment available on the market in that office.  It’s actually already there, but it has to be installed, calibrated, calculated, checked, adjusted, aligned, synchronized, balanced, tuned…..whatever…..and won’t be ready for use until August.  That’s okay; I’ll be ready for it when it’s all ready.  I definitely want “the very best” available – pinpoint those beams, miss the heart please, etc. 

I had another dreadful blood draw yesterday.  Went to Quest again, but my veins refused to cooperate, or the phlebotomist wasn’t the greatest, or both.  She said the vein kept rolling away from her, so she kept rolling the needle around trying to find it!  Man, that felt great…….not!  I don’t know the results yet and probably won’t know until Tuesday…..when it’s almost time for another draw…..

Meanwhile we are up in St. Augustine with the RV.  It’s one of our favorite places to come to when we feel like getting “out of dodge” for a little while because it’s only about 120 miles from Merritt Island, and there’s lots to see and do here……including just plain ol’ relaxing “in the woods.”  We just felt like getting away from my medical world environment for a week or so.  We’re supposed to get thunderstorms this afternoon; if so, we hang out inside and read a book.  If not, we sit outside and read a book….or maybe head into town and walk around, go window shopping, listen to live music, whatever strikes our fancy.  Sounds relaxing, doesn’t it?! 

Hope you all have a relaxing, fun, and safe Memorial Day weekend.  And thank you to all our troops, past and present, who have fought for and continue to fight for our freedom (we’re so proud of you, nephew Jimmy!!)   

7 comments:

Penelope Z said...

Hi Suzy,
Writing to you from Stockton Springs, where Zig and I are spending the weekend. Your Mom and I are about to go to Belfast for some badly needed retail therapy at Coyote Moon - your mom needs a dress for B & G's wedding, and I just want to scope out what's there.
I'm sorry to hear about the treatment schedule - getting this all over with must be at the top of your list of things to CROSS OFF!!!
We love you so much!

Penelope Z said...

Well, I still can't figure out why F & J's computer won't let them post comments to your blog. It's very annoying, irritating, and mysterious.

Your mom keeps trying to write comments, some of them very lengthy in nature, but they disappear every time she tries to post.

We are drinking champagne in honor of your mom's upcoming birthday, AND in honor of YOU! We love you and wish you were here.

scc218 said...

Just trying to see if I can leave a comment because people are having issues commenting. Don't know what the heck is going on.

Stuart said...

Suzy,

Thinking of you and wishing you all of the good news that can possibly come your way. Perhaps a better experience with your next blood draw!

That SUCKS! Sorry, just had to say it. NO FAIR! Excuse me.

I trust they know what they're talking about with what comes when.

We're a bit soggy up here in Montpelier. I noticed you saw the slide show. I've seen more photos posted where the damage done in some areas surrounding us is much worse. Besides pumping out about three inches of standing water from our basement yesterday (and we're on the high ground), the biggest impact (for me) will be on my exercise regimen. The road past my gym (Snap Fitness) opened up yesterday and Donna and I went to take a look. They were cleaning it out. I imagine their equipment must be a total loss. I hope they had insurance. No word on how long it will be until they're open again.

The weather forecast is for more rain today (thunderstorms) but DRY weather on Monday (tomorrow)! That will feel good.

Sending all of my love to you and Kenny. Montpelier Loves You!

Love,

Stuart

P.S. - I've lit many a candle for you at church over the past few months, meditating for you.

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
We've had a memorable Memorial Day week-end with Penny and Zig--they've just left to return home.
We had a thunder shower during the night--it will be warm and humid today--80 degrees! Summer is here.
We spent a very nice day yesterday, wandering through the
Botanical Garden in Boothbay. Perhaps we'll take you there, the next time you come. We went to the UU church in Damariscotta with Penny and Zig in the morning. They always go there when they visit us. You were often in our minds over the week-end.
I love you--
Free

Jean said...

Hi Suzy -
This is the umpteenth time I've tried to post a comment. I should have saved them each time, but now I know they'll go through because I just sent Freeland's.
Anyway - I'm so glad you and Kenny were able to get away from the "medical world environment" for a few days. Much-needed r&r for both of you, prior to the rigorous schedule of treatments you have ahead of you (guess you don't need to be reminded of that!). We will be with you in spirit every step of the way, and in person whenever possible.
I love you so very much, Suzy!
Mom

Donna said...

Hi! I'm glad you decided to head-out for a while - it sounds like just the thing, especially when things have been discouraging. We are at the end of a very relaxing four day weekend at home. Everything was closed on Friday because of the flooding and torn up roads and the concern that there wouldn't be water (in pipes - not on the road!) So we got some of the housekeeping done on Friday and entered the long weekend with clean floors etc. Yesterday Lily and I went with friends to the Baked Beads tent sale - Baked Beads is a company that makes earrings and other jewelry. It was the last day of the sale so it was a little picked over but we still managed to get some treasures at good prices. Stuart is out for a run right now (Monday morning and I am going to go clean the office/guest room - it has been a wreck since I did the taxes for our Oklahoma clients months ago - I find myself sifting through piles of papers everytime I need something. Stuart's mom will be staying there in a couple of weeks for Delia's graduation, so it's a good incentive to get to work. I'm planning to finish quickly and then relax for the rest of the day - read and cook and maybe take a nap. We're thinking of you both and sending lots of love - xoxoxo Donna