Monday, March 14, 2011

2 appointments down, 5 more to go......this week......

Just wanted to drop in and make a post before heading off to bed.  I had 2 appointments today, with 5 more appointments to go.....this week.  Ooooeee.....making me kinda crazy......   This morning we met my new oncologist and liked him a lot.  I was really having my doubts about doing the chemo......and I still really have my doubts......but he was like a really good (and funny and likable) used car salesman (I usually detest used car salesmen, but he was really good).....and I made an appointment for my first bout of chemotherapy to start on April 8th.  This Friday (3/18), I will go for "chemo education" to learn about all the wonderful things to expect during this next phase of my treatment -- the hair loss, the nausea, the vomiting, the fatigue, etc. etc.  Should be enlightening.   


After the onco appointment, we had another appointment with the surgeon to make sure things were healing properly (they are) and that the fluid buildup I'm experiencing is normal (it is).  If the fluid buildup gets worse -- and feels and looks like a water balloon sloshing around on my chest -- then I'll have to go in and have it drained.  But he was optimistic that my body would take care of it properly and it shouldn't be a problem. 


I have now lost 21 pounds.  YAY!!!!  I'm very happy about that.  Don't try this at home, though -- I DO NOT recommend this weight loss program for anybody.....not even an enemy (do I have any of those?  hope not!)  There definitely have to be more fun ways to lose weight than by "joining the horrible club" I've been forced to join.  The onco did mention that exercise is a very important part of the treatment plan, and he said to eat protein and vegies, and I can continue to take my vitamins and supplements during chemo (although he said I might have to stop them, or some of them, during radiation because of interactions).


Okay, it is time for me to call it a day. 

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

YIPEE! I am SO glad that you found an oncologist that you actually like and feel comfortable with! I'm also somewhat relieved to hear that you're going with the chemo, Suzy (I cannot tell a lie....) Just want you to end up SAFE and WELL.
MUCH LOVE,
Becky

Stuart said...

Good news, Suzy!

We're thinking of you every day.

Love,

Stuart

Unknown said...

Me, too, glad you have a plan -- you're so smart to get out and walk and exercise and enjoy the beautiful place you live it will get you through this treatment, Love
Chris