Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lovin' the Florida sunshine!

Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think, say, or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home.
   The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.        
 - Charles Swindoll


Yesterday Kenny and I went for a 1.6-mile walk on a beautiful trail through the wetlands, and I felt really good afterwards.  Today we did 2.2 miles in 44 minutes -- not a break-neck speed but definitely faster than a stroll.  It was no problem at all.  Yay!!  It feels really good to get out for a walk in the beautiful, fresh Florida air and sunshine.  It's in the mid-70s today but is supposed to be in the low 80s over the weekend!  It's wonderful!

The visiting nurse came yesterday (Mary, same one as Tuesday -- very nice) and changed the dressings again.  She also cleaned up the area around the drain sites because she said it looked "pretty gnarly."  Ooooeeeee!  That did NOT feel good when she was cleaning up that area.  She looked at the incisions and commented that the surgeon did a beautiful job with the surgery.  And she and Kenny both said the incisions looked really good.  Phew!  (I really didn't want to look myself -- not quite ready for that again yet.)  Mary also said that 3 other people besides me called and complained about Linda (Monday's nurse) and said they didn't want her back.  She really needs a different profession.

Last night while we were watching a movie (Mad Money with Diane Keaton and Queen Latifah -- pretty funny), my boobs (or lack thereof) felt like they were on FIRE!  Wow!  What a sensation that was.  I put an ice pack on, and that really helped.  By the time the movie was over, and bedtime had arrived, things were okay.

This morning was the most pain I have been in all week.....since the "freight-train" syndrome on Sunday morning.  I guess that's all part of the healing process.  I was hoping to eliminate the daytime pain meds, but I ended up taking one at 1000 this morning, and that definitely took the edge off things.  So I guess I'm taking a pain pill about every 12 hours, which isn't too bad.  I take one just before bed (around 2200), and that really helps me sleep well.....which is a REALLY nice change for me. 

I actually did a little bit of transcription this afternoon -- easing back into it very slowly.  I'll do some more over the weekend, too.

More battles with the insurance company today.  Discovered that the doctor who made rounds in the hospital Friday night and Saturday afternoon was out of network.  I had called my insurance company last week and specifically asked them what happens when I'm in the hospital and I have no control over what labs they use, what anesthesiologist they use, etc. etc.  They assured me that as long as I was in a hospital that was in network (I was), and the surgeon is in network (he is), then everything that transpires during that hospital stay would be covered because they realize the patient has no control over it.  And then whammo!  I see the "rounding doc" is out of network.  They said it's still "in review", so it's possible it will change and be considered in network.  If not, write a letter of appeal.....   What a hassle.  I also found out that my deductible ($5200) is per calendar year, so it's a good thing this happened at the beginning of the year.  Imagine if it was October, and I would have to meet $5200 in October and then again in January. 

Time to take the doggies for a nice walk.......

3 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--Thank goodness, you're able to be out (with Kenny) walking in the beautiful Florida sunshine--a great help speeding your recovery! We can't wait to be there and walking with you!
Every day, we're sending much love to you both--
Freeland (and Mom)

Jean said...

I LOVE your blogs, Suzy! Even more than that, I love YOU! Two weeks from today we and Nancy will be down there with you and Kenny and we are SO looking forward to that...
Love and hugs,
Mom

Stuart said...

It's great to think of you walking in the sunshine while I'm here in COLD country. Dona is in Ft. Lauderdale helping her Mom with her Dad who is 96 and being difficult. So she is close by (relatively).

We LOVE you, Suzy & Kenny.

Take care,

Stuart