Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yet another beautiful day on the Space Coast of Florida.....

Worry is like a rocking chair – it will give you something to do, but it won’t get you anywhere.

It's a little cool today, but it's really gorgeous.  It was 41 when I got up at 5:30 this morning.  Now it has warmed up to around 70.  The sun is shining, and I'm sitting her looking out at the Banana River.  Soon I will go outside and do the exercises I learned in physical therapy yesterday.  I think they are going to be most helpful in restoring proper function to my upper body and getting some range of motion back in my left arm. 

Last night we had the pleasure of being dinner guests of dear friends at the Atlantic Ocean Grille, which is on the Cocoa Beach Pier -- right out over the ocean.  It was a gorgeous evening, the food was delicious, the company great, AND there was a spectacular Delta IV rocket launch -- right out our waterfront window!  It doesn't get any better than that!  The launch was delayed slightly due to technical problems, which made it even more beautiful because a little more daylight had disappeared (it launched at 6:38 p.m.), and the colors of the sun on the curling trail of smoke left behind were awesome -- pink, yellow, white.  Okay, I think you get the idea -- living on the Space Coast is really great! 

Sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed trying to make the right decisions about treatment, etc., trying to juggle appointments (I have 2 on Monday, 1 on Tuesday, and 2 on Thursday this week....in various parts of the county), work full time, training another new person, trying to exercise and walk every day, etc. etc. 

I also feel like I could quit my transcription job and get a job in the freak show at the circus!  Just kidding!  But, now that I'm taking regular showers again, I have to look at "the stuff" on a regular basis.  Oh my!  It's way more than I can handle.  It's not a pretty sight.  Hopefully it will get "prettier" as time goes on.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I kind of imagined that I would just have a beautiful, smooth, flat chest without boobs.  I didn't picture THIS at all.  Sorry, but I don't think I'll be posting any photos...... 

Another interesting thing I have noticed is that I get really cold really easily now that I don't have boobs.  BBR (before boob removal), I used to be HOT all the time; in fact, Kenny and I used to have major thermostat wars -- he would want the heat on when I would want the A/C on, and he was always freezing when I was always roasting.  Well, now maybe we'll come to an agreement on that front because I'm cold all the time now.  Maybe it's a temporary thing because of all the nerve damage, etc.  Who knows?!  It's also painful to shiver, so I just try to keep warm.

It's about those exercises -- I need to get outside and do them!    

5 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
In about 40 hours, we'll be on our way to Cape Canaveral! We're "straining at the bit" (even
though we're not horses)to do whatever we can to help you while we're there.
I love you--
Freeland

Rebecca said...

Suzy--
Just found your blog update here. Sounds like you are VERY busy and doing pretty well. Can't quite imagine how you are fitting all that in. I'm hoping that those exercises are productive and that you notice a difference in your strength. Also hope you all have a wonderful time together (you, Kenny, Dad, Jean and Nancy). I am feeling a bit envious.. but I guess that's a part of my human nature...
Sending MUCHO hugs and kisses your way..
LOVE,
Becky

Rebecca said...

P.S.
George says his love and hugs too!

Rebecca said...

SENDS, that is..!

Jean said...

Only a few more days, Suzy! On the road tomorrow, spending the night with Jeff and Wendy in Middletown. We'll call you along the way to let you know how things are progressing. See you soon and we love you mucho!
Mom