Monday, March 28, 2011

4th Cry

Anywhere is paradise; it's up to you.  ~Author Unknown


Until today, I have only cried 3 times since my diagnosis of breast cancer on February 2, 2011 – twice back at the beginning of February when Kenny said something the “wrong way” to me.  I don’t even remember what he said – it was something trivial and insignificant both times.  Mind you, it was really just that I was extremely emotional and sensitive during that timeframe; he really didn’t say anything wrong.  The flood gates were just waiting to burst – the slightest “breach” would cause them to come crashing open – and they did.  The third cry was during my encounter with, and all the way home from the office of, the tactless and insensitive oncologist (whom I subsequently fired from my medical team). 

Today was my 4th breach of the flood gates.  It was just more than I could handle saying goodbye to Mom and Freeland prior to their departure (by car) to Maine and then dropping Nancy off at the Orlando airport to fly home to San Diego.  So I cried all the way home from the airport.  Since I had a lymphatic therapy session after dropping Nancy off, I had to stop at McDonald’s and run in the restroom to wash my face so I would look somewhat presentable for therapy.  The therapy session was relatively mild – not too much massage due to my tenderness/pain from the port installation.  She gave me some more exercises to add to my repertoire and talked about the compression sleeve that I need to order. 

It has been raining ALL day today – very gloomy – and it’s supposed to continue for most of the week.  But we had a fantastic 10 days when Mom, Freeland, and Nancy were here.  The weather was absolutely fabulous, and we had such a nice, relaxing, fun time together.  Last night we went to Fishlips in Port Canaveral for wine and appetizers and watched 3 of the cruise ships depart for sea.  And we rounded out our last night with – guess what?! – Mexican Train and 4-handed cribbage! 

This will be a busy work week for me but at least I don’t have too many appointments – one more lymphatic therapy session on Thursday.  Next week I start the “poison” phase of my treatment regimen – chemo starts on Friday, April 8th.  I’m not looking forward to it – dreading it is more like it –  but I guess I’ve resigned myself to the fact that that’s the route I am going.

Time to take a break from the computer, have some dinner, read a book, and go to bed early. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Suz'.....I had no idea how sad I would feel once you drove away from dropping me off this morning....I miss you so much. What a wonderful 10 days it was with you, Mom and Freeland......I'm only wishing we were geographically much closer to you so we could be with you for your "chemo journey." You know I will be down in a flash, Suz' if the road starts getting a bit rocky.....but the way you've handled everything so far, you may just skate through this!! I know it won't be easy but you have just been amazing through all this.....so mentally strong and positive with so little complaining. As I said the other night, you are my hero.....such an inspiration to us all.
I love you so much.....and thank you for being the best sister ever!!!

Penelope Z said...

Suzy, I'm so glad that D & J & N could be there for such a long visit - not long enough, but better than just a weekend. You are always in my thoughts and, if you are still for a moment, you'll feel my arms around you, all the way from Connecticut. I love you, dearie.

Kellye said...

Hi Aunt Suz!

I loved all the pictures from the trip! Especially of course Grandma chugging her Corona and surfing! She cracks me up. I really wish I could have spent the week with you all (the beautiful Florida weather and spending time with you guys is much more appealing than work, TRUST ME!) but hopefully we can see each other soon. Your strength is truly inspiring... I guess we never really know our own strength until faced with something like the big "C". Trust in your doctors and feel the love and support from the people around you. It's hard sometimes to comprehend exactly why things happen to good people, but I believe there is a reason for everything and is part of the journey. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers and I believe in you.
I love you!

Stuart said...

Hi, Suzy.

I wish I was there to give you a big hug and a kiss, big sister! I can only imagine what you're going through. I'm so happy you had such a good visit with nancy, Mom, & Free.

Don't know if you've heard but, while you're getting rain & thunderstorms, we're getting 8-16" of snow tomorrow (April Fools Day) and may even get another dump next week. Pretty late for such shenanigans!

I Love You, Suzy!

Stuart

Rebecca said...

Suzy--
George and I just spent the evening with Skip (his son) and family, who live close to here. We celebrated his birthday early, with pizza and wine. Want you to know that I've been thinking of you often, and George and I talk about you frequently, always hoping for the best. It's hard to be this far away, because we can't hug you, and let you know first hand how much we really care about you and what's going on during this tough time in your life.
As Nancy said, you, and the way you're coping with all of THIS, are in inspiration to me, and to George, too. THANKS, and please know that you're in our thoughts, AND in our hearts.

MUCH LOVE,

Becky and George