Saturday, March 5, 2011

Feeling kinda blue this afternoon.......

We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.  ~Author Unknown

I had a really good day yesterday.  I drove for the first time since the surgery -- drove myself to Walmart in the morning and drove myself to get a haircut in the afternoon.  It felt great to get some of my independence back.  I hated making Kenny take me places, although he did it without complaint.  Anyway, it was nice to have the freedom of going places I wanted to go.  And it felt SOOO good to get a shampoo and a nice haircut -- I desperately needed both! Last night we went out for Mexican food with some good friends and had a nice evening.  We usually go to the game room afterwards and play a game of pool or two, but I didn't feel quite up to the "bending and stretching."  Driving, a haircut, and dinner out was enough excitement for one day.  Came home and watched a movie (The Bucket List -- enjoyed it) and then crashed.  Slept well again -- love those nighttime pain meds!

Today the visiting nurse came back and changed my dressings again -- a tad painful but tolerable.  She said everything looked good.  We'll see what the surgeon says on Monday. 

I'm still TOTALLY enjoying a hiatus from work.  The girls I have covering for me have been fabulous and said, "Don't worry about anything.  We've got it covered until next week.  Relax and recover."  They're the best!  It's so nice to read a book in the middle of the day, watch a movie in the evening, sleep late in the morning.......  I'm sure it's helping the healing aspect tremendously.

This afternoon I just started feeling a little blue.  It happens now and then but fortunately not very often.  And I know I'll snap out of it in due time.  Things just started mounting up -- feeling frustrated with the dang drains (can only wear large, long, oversized, men's shirts; if the shirt is too short, the tubes hang down below it; if the shirt is too tight, the "bulbs" bulge out -- they do even with the big huge shirts), armpits are stinking from not being able to take a shower (sponge baths just don't cut it), worried about the numbness in my upper left arm (is it permanent from lymph node removal or temporary from the surgery? -- my whole chest area is actually still numb, so maybe it's all normal), stressed out from writing a letter to Humana appealing the denial of claims for lab work for the biopsy and the doctor performing rounds in the hospital, and frustrated about some computer issues. 

However, Kenny just got back from doing some errands.  So maybe we'll take the dogs for a walk and then sit outside, enjoy some fresh air, and maybe have a fire.  I'm sure that will help my mood considerably.

Moving on to a better mood........tomorrow is another day........

3 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
I just read your latest blog--I know it's completely normal for you to have periods of "down" feelings, but your "never give up"
philosophy will always bring you back to the right path--you will always be ready to "adjust the sail"!
I love you--
Freeland

Rebecca said...

Sitting here in George's kitchen while he cooks bacon (I WAS cooking it, but as soon as I got up to grab my computer he took over..) Reading the Sunday paper. Found your newest blog entry. I'm so glad that you're back to driving and the independent feeling that goes with that. Would love to see a photo of your new "do"! As Dad says, with your positive philosophy you are bound to get yourself back to a more positive mood. In the meantime, seems like you certainly have enough issues to warrant feeling less than 100% positive... So glad you can relax, knowing that the girls you have working for you can handle the load for a while.
LOVE,
Becky

Stuart said...

Suzy,

So glad to hear that you were out and about the other day. I can only imagine how hard all of this must be for you and for Kenny. Know that all of us Russo-Savages and all of your family are thinking of you and sending you all of our love.

Consider this: about 2 feet of snow and still snowing at the rate of about 1"/hour, winds from 10-25 mph, ALL schools in the state closed, the state offices closed, and even my work is closed. I think I have some shoveling to do. The forecast for tonight - ~5 degrees below zero.

I hope the weather in Florida is treating you well.

We LOVE you!

Stuart (& family)