Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chemo round 2 is history.....movin' on.......

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.   - Anonymous

I'm happy to report that chemo #2 went very smoothly.....and quickly....once we got into the chemo room.  My plan of getting there early, hoping to get in earlier didn't work, unfortunately.  My original appointment was at 1045, but I called the office yesterday to see if by chance there had been any cancellations earlier in the morning.  She told me to come in a little before 1000, and Dr. Sprawls could probably see me at 1000.  So, we arrived there at 0945, but Dr. Sprawls was already running way behind.  They finally called us back to an exam room at 1030, and we were excited because that was earlier than my original appointment!  However, he didn't actually come into the exam room until 1115!  By that time we were pretty antsy, upset, and worried about the timing.  You see, the issue is that I have to have a Neulasta injection on Friday, but it can't be sooner than 24 hours after the chemo finishes (and it has to be within 72 hours).  I was worried that if all the little PacMan guys didn't finish entering my system to "do their thing" until 1400 or 1500, then I couldn't get my Neulasta until 1400 or 1500 tomorrow, and I would probably miss the shuttle launch or see it from some traffic jam.  ANYWAY, Dr. Sprawls was his usual funny, laid-back self, and he had us laughing and joking and talking, even though we were a little grouchy when he first walked into the room.  He's a really likable guy, though, and we forgot about our troubles for the time being.  We finally got back to the "chemo suite" around noon, and they hooked up the various bags of poison.  The first one (pushing the Adriamycin) only took about 15 minutes, and the second one (Cytoxan) took about an hour, so I was all finished at 1325.  And I made my appointment for the Neulasta for 1330 tomorrow at the Merritt Island office!  I should have no problem making it back to the RV to see the launch -- this is a great park to see the launches from!  Okay, well, I realize I just got a little long-winded with a few too many details about nothingness when I could have just gotten right to the point and said I'm going for Neulasta at 1330 tomorrow.  I don't feel like erasing it all and starting over, so just skip over the "nothingness." 

After chemo, Ken and I went and had a nice lunch at Grill's in Port Canaveral.  Sat outside and enjoyed a nice breeze. 

Now I'm about ready to head to bed.  Starting feeling slightly nauseous with a headache around 1830ish.  I've taken my anti-nausea med, had some ginger ale, took some ginger root capsules.  Feeling a little better now, although quite tired.  Got up at 0420 to get transcription done before my appointment.  I was totally overwhelmed with work yesterday -- 250 minutes of dictation for one day (another useless detail, but that's a LOT) -- but 2 of my girls responded to my S-O-S and so willingly said they'd take on even more work than they already had!  Don't know what I'd do without 'em! 

G'night, folks!  Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  Hugs from Florida.

2 comments:

scc218 said...

I'm trying to see if I can leave a comment because I've heard people are having problems.

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzy--
Sorry about the disappearance of the earlier comment! Just wanted to tell you how glad I am that this 2nd chemo session went well and that you know better how to minimize the consequences, and that your transcription team
is helping you with the work load.
I love you--
Freeland (keep reading)
Dear Suzy,
I, too, am so glad that you're feeling okay after the 2nd chemo session, as of this morning. That is good news! Your blogs are a real inspiration to so many people, including all those amazing quotes you come up with! --- We were up at 4 a.m. today to watch the Royal Wedding proceedings. We're glad we saw it "live." What a handsome couple!
Hope this works - we've been trying off and on all day to get this to go through.
I love you!
Mom