Monday, April 18, 2011

Good Morning, World!

The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak, became a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong.  ~Thomas Carlyle

Bosun and Dory on the RV dash -- right next to my work station -- always ready with unconditional love and kisses......

It’s a beautiful Monday here in Merritt Island (Florida) – sunny, breezy, and 70 degrees, although I’m sure it will be warming up considerably.  We might even take the kayaks out today, which will be a first since my mastectomy 7½ weeks ago.  I’ve come a long way since then and feel that I have regained most of the strength and range of motion in my left arm (where the lymph nodes were removed).  There is still a lot of numbness, and I guess there will be some residual numbness for quite awhile……maybe forever.  But that’s not going to stop me from using a kayak paddle!  I did get a compression sleeve, which the lymphedema therapist said I should always wear when working out, exercising, kayaking, etc. – to help prevent swelling in the left arm. 

Had a fun weekend with 2 other couples/good friends joining us here at the campground.  One couple came for a week, which was really nice, and the other couple came for a long weekend.  It was so nice having them here – such a nice diversion for me.  It was Don’s birthday, so we all chipped in and got 3 dozen steamed crabs (big ones!) Friday night and sat around the picnic table picking crabs.  It was great fun!

The only drawback to the weekend was the “hard hit” I took from the Neulasta injection (that I had on Monday, 4/11).  One of the nurses told me that I would probably experience the side effects within 1-3 days of the injection, which I guess is why I felt so terrible last Monday and Tuesday.  Another nurse told me that the Neulasta has a “peak period” of 7-10 days.  I didn’t really know what she meant……until 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning!  WOW!  Did it ever peak!!  I had the most excruciating lower back pain I’ve ever felt – to the point of tears.  It was unbelievable.  I took 2 Tylenol Extra Strength Rapid Release gel caps, and Kenny gave me a back rub with some special cream, which didn’t seem to help much, but then he got up and made me a hot pack – so sweet at 3:00 a.m.!!  I didn’t even want to wake him up, but I guess he heard me tossing and turning, moaning and groaning……and crying…..   (I consider myself to have a pretty high pain tolerance, too, but the pain was something else).  The hot pack and the Tylenol helped, and I was actually able to get back to sleep for a few more hours.  It was pretty painful all day yesterday but, as long as I took Tylenol every 4 hours, it was bearable.  The nurse had also told me that the bone/joint pain that I “might” experience would be most prevalent at sites of previous bone injuries – and the pain is caused by the bone marrow regenerating itself.  Who wudda thought bone marrow regeneration could cause so much pain??!  Anyway, I figured I would feel the pain in my right ankle – site of a trimalleolar fracture in 1997.  However, I didn’t feel a thing there – maybe because of the plate and all the screws?  Instead, it decided to zero in on the low back – site of a compression fracture in 1974. 

Anyway, enough of that.  I don’t want to bore you with all these details.  I feel great today, and THAT is what matters!  No low back pain at all, and it’s a beautiful day!  Time to get out and enjoy it!  Hope it’s a nice day wherever all of you are, too!

4 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
I'm so glad that you "feel great" today-that's already making my day! It's 48 degrees here at 8:40 AM and sunny--definitely not warm by Florida standards.
I'll be thinking of you all day--be careful and enjoy, along with Kenny, the Kayak trip. Wish we were there kayaking with you.
I love you--
Free

Jean said...

Dear Suzy -
It's making MY day, too, to know that you're feeling better after that excruciating back pain. Keep up the good work! --- Love the photo of two of our granddogs, Bosun and Dory. They are so cute and I know they're good company for you and Kenny. --- Have fun kayaking, take some photos for your next blog, and let us hear all about it!
I love you!!!!!!!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz'....wow, no wonder you were so quiet this weekend....darn! 'So sorry to hear about all the lower back pain but am glad it's over. I hope your kayaking adventure went well...or is going well! Thinking of you ALL THE TIME.....sending this with the biggest hugs and kisses ever!!! Love you!

Stuart said...

Suzy,

Thinking of you every day. Glad to hear the pain has passed. What a trooper Kenny is.

I saw the Boston marathon for the first time yesterday. Ryan Hall ran by within arms reach. We were at the "screaming tunnel" at Wellesley College with Emma. The race course goes right by the campus. It's a college tradition that every year the students go out to the road and scream (plus cowbells this year) for about three hours straight. I had a bad headache and was exhausted by all of the screaming. Not as hard work as the winner who ran the fastest marathon ever! There was a good tail wind.

Anyways - an exciting way to celebrate Emma's 20th birthday.

I Love You and am sending you lots of positive energy.