Friday, April 8, 2011

It was a "walk in the park....."

Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joshua J. Marine


This is Jessica, my oncology RN today, "pushing" the Adriamycin into me.  You can see the tube running from her big injector/plunger down behind my shirt into the port (which is in my right upper chest).  Jessica was so sweet and very knowledgeable (she was sharing some of her knowledge with me in this photo....or scaring me with some of her knowledge??!....LOL).  She's currently going to school to be an oncology ARNP and graduates in June 2012.  

She was excellent with getting the needle into the port.  Never felt the needle jab at all (thanks to EMLA numbing cream), although I felt a little pressure when she was pushing the needle against the port.  Just couldn't get the numbing cream to take that pain away.  But it wasn't bad, and it didn't last long. 


Anyway, this is just a short note to let you all know that things went really well today.  I'm feeling really great, except for being really tired at the moment.  However, I really think that is more a function of a stressful work week, lack of sleep all week, anxiety/anticipation/fear about the chemo, etc.  Now that #1 is history, I can breathe a sigh of relief and relax a little bit.  And now I know what to expect.  And I hope all the treatments go that well.  We can hope, right?! 

We got to the office a little before 1100 and left there around 1430.  I think it will go a little quicker next time probably. 

I have to go for my Neulasta injection on Monday -- that will help keep my white blood cell count up, which will help fight off infections, etc.  Supposedly that has a 7-10 "peak" period, at which time I will probably experience bone/joint aches and pains.  I have to have blood work drawn once a week mainly to keep tabs on the white blood cell count, but also to make sure all the other values are okay, too.

Our next immediate worry is whether the government will shut down!  "What's that got to do with the price of eggs, you say?!"  Well, we're currently camping at a government-run park, and they will be locking the gates if the government shuts down.  So, yes, we will have to move.  They said we could have until noon tomorrow to get out of here.  It'll be a bit of task (hopefully I will still feel good tomorrow) -- with the bikes, the kayaks, the inversion table, a stairstepper, a leg exerciser, chairs, outdoor carpet, etc. etc.  -- but not impossible.  We will probably head down the road to the park where we used to live on the houseboat for the time-being until we figure out the next plan.

Well, folks, it's time for me to call it a day.  It was a long one.  And I'm really looking forward to going to bed.  I might try to read for a little while, but I don't know how long that will last. 

I LOVE all your blog comments (and emails, too)!!  Even if I don't respond individually, please know that I always read them ALL and REALLY appreciate every one of them so much!!  Thank you so much!  HUGS!

8 comments:

Jean said...

Dear Suzy - What a relief it was to get home from fitness class yesterday and find your message waiting for us with the joyful news:
"I feel great!" And then to talk with you and reaffirm that all went well. The "fear of the unknown" is behind you. It must have been those solidarity earrings we all wore, right? And we'll wear them every time you have any kind of procedure. You have so many people rooting for you, Suzy - and loving you.
Especially me.
Mom

Jean said...

Dear Suzy - You made Mom's day, and mine too! We both are happy when things go well for you, and hope that things continue in that vein throughout your long series of procedures.
And we now know that you won't have to move the RV--at least not for a week!
So many people love you, and Mom and I are enthusiastically among them!
Freeland

Jean said...

Welcome back to Bejeweled, Champ! Brenda and I have some catching up to do...
XO
Mom

Rebecca said...

Suzy--
What a relief! And if I'm feeling it, you must be feeling it X10! Thanks for the photo -- it's nice to be able to picture you. Glad your nurse was encouraging. Do hope every time the nurse leaves you with a good feeling. Take it easy, Suz. You're in my heart.
LOVE,
Becky

Penelope Z said...

Hi Suzy,

It is SO COOL that you post photos of the actual treatment. I think that helps the rest of us keep it real, and in the forefront of our thoughts, which is a good thing. How are you feeling today? It was a lovely one here - temp about 60 - warm for us! We still have a bit of snow in the yard, bu i shrinks every day and will soon be gone.
What are the expectations as regards nausea/fatigue/pain, etc.? I hope that the effects are minimal. Are there meeds to take that minimize these effects?
Love you so much, Suzy!
Penny

Unknown said...

Dear Suzy -
I agree with Penny, it is so nice to see you. You look great and that is encouraging to us all. Hope you continue to have great luck but know attitude is half the battle and if that is the case, you have it won!!!! Lots of Hugs.
Brenda

Donna said...

Hi Suzy - I'm so glad that the treatment was better than you feared and that the nurse was kind. Hopefully the side-effects are minimal and you are able to get some good rest. AND hope you didn't have to move even though the Gov't didn't shut down - what timing!

Stuart's mom is here for a long weekend and has brought mild, sunny CT weather with her, which we greatly appreciate. She and Stuart and I went to a favorite little restaurant for drinks and tappas on Friday night - yum! We'll need to go there the next time you visit. Yesterday afternoon we went to Lily's orchestra concert and then came home and watched the documentary Note by Note about the making of Steinway Pianos (Really good if you haven't seen it). No Mexican Train playing yet! - but probably today as Delia doesn't have to go into work at all.

I'm thinking of you lots and sending you and Kenny lots and lots of love -

Donna

Stuart said...

Suzy,

I am SOOOO happy to hear that the first treatment went as well as it did. I’m sure it was no walk in the park but it seems like it might have been on the better side of what you may have been braced for. Great news on that end.

Is Kenny the photographer? Please give him our thanks and let him know that I am thinking of him, too, as he goes through this with you. You are both so fortunate to have each other.

So, a little trip down memory lane...........

One of the many memories I have of our childhood is, of course, our time on the beach at the Cape. I remember the warmth of the sand under my feet, burrowing down into the cooler sand with my feet, and, most especially, that deep warmth of the sun on my body. Mixed in with all of those memories is that general feeling of warmth and love from my family. I am so blessed. Of course, I suppose you live this experience (warm sun) almost every day in your locale. For me, these memories help me get through the long, dark winter which appears to be, finally, coming to an end. Some snow banks still but it’s forecast not to go below freezing for the rest of the week and may be in the 70s on Monday!

These memories are such a great gift for me. I don’t know how I am so lucky to have had the childhood I did. You, of course, are a big part of that. I always looked up to my big sisters - even if they were a pain in the butt some of the time. I never could understand why you all didn’t want to get up at 6 AM when the beach was waiting!

So, take care Suzy. I am (and all of us are) with you every step of the way with all of our love.

I Love You, Suzy!

Stuart