Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The big day draws near......

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.  ~Winston Churchill

Wow!  Only 3 more days until the "big day" arrives.  Yes, I will admit that I'm starting to get a little nervous -- not about losing my boobs, but more about being in a hospital (they give me the willies.....not to mention fear of MRSA and other things lurking behind the hospital doors) and about my work.  My job has gotten so busy, and I can't stop worrying about dumping it all on somebody else -- in this case, 3 somebody elses.  However, they are all very qualified, capable, and willing, so I'm slowly convincing myself to stop worrying about that and concentrate on my health.  (It's not really working, but I'm trying.)

We had a good weekend.  Had a really fun day at Universal Studios on Friday.  The Vitamix arrived on Saturday!  Man, that thing is turbocharged!  It's really cool.  Ken whipped up some fabulous vegie drink on Sunday morning with all kinds of good stuff in it.  The only problem was that he is used to the juicer where there is so much waste from the vegies.  With the Vitamix, you get it all, so I was drinking that one drink for 2 days!  There was a ton of it! 

On Saturday night, some dear friends took us out for a delicious dinner and fun evening to celebrate our birthdays.  On Sunday night, some other dear friends had us over for a delicious dinner and fun evening to celebrate our birthdays.  Great evenings! 

And yesterday was Ken's birthday.  We went out to breakfast, did a few errands, and then went to the gun range for some target practice(!)  It's what he wanted to do......and it was his birthday......  We basically spent the afternoon "chilling out" at the RV.  It was a gorgeous day -- sunny and 80 degrees!  We went for a nice walk around 4:00, saw a couple of alligators sunning on the bank of the lagoon, and then we sat outside at the RV and relaxed.  I cooked lobster tails and oven-roasted vegies for his birthday dinner.  I offered to buy (not make -- we don't own any flour, sugar, etc.) a birthday cake for dessert, but he declined. 

The hospital called me yesterday to get my health history and give me instructions for the surgery, etc.  I have to be at the hospital (Wuesthoff Hospital - Wickham Rd - Melbourne) at 0700 on Friday (2/25), and the surgery is now scheduled for 0915 (instead of 1000).  The surgery takes approximately 1.5 hours, and I will be in recovery 1-2 hours.  Then I will be taken to a room -- supposedly a private room -- and will spend the rest of day and night there.  Hopefully, if I'm doing well, I will be discharged around noon the next day (Saturday).

Oh, I just discovered something else to worry about -- not that I'm lacking in that department.  I just went online to see if I have met my $5200 deductible yet and discovered that there are lab charges for the biopsy I had done on 2/1 in the amount of $3020.  However, the 2 labs were OUT-OF-NETWORK, so these charges will not go to my deductible (i.e., I will have to pay this in addition to my $5200 deductible!).  Like I had a freakin' choice on what the hell labs they used!  (By the way, that makes the total charges for the biopsy  -- procedure took about 20 minutes -- $5261!  Reasonable, eh?!)  Welcome to the freakin' medical/insurance world!  I'm sure it will continue to get more colorful, annoy me more, and send my blood pressure soaring as time goes on....... 

On that note, I will sign off for now because, as usual, I am swamped with work.  I'm procrastinating and would rather vent in my blog than do my work.  But, alas, reality is setting in, and I MUST get back to it. 

Stay tuned.......I'll be back when time permits......  Thank you all for your continued loving thoughts, prayers, support, good wishes, positive vibes, etc. etc.  This would be a very tough journey without all of you......

4 comments:

Jean said...

Keep the faith, Suzy. Never forget that we all love you and think about you constantly these days. Ouch - that hurt about those lab fees! Oh how I want to be down there with you, but that will have to wait until March 18th. We'll be chatting lots between now and then. Love and hugs from your Mom....

Rebecca said...

Suzy--
Thanks for all that info. you blogged. Hope you enjoyed both of those birthday dinners -- sounds GREAT. So sorry to hear about the out-of-network thing. That is really nasty. I'm thinking of you, and so is George. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Loving you,
Becky

Penelope Z said...

Sis, try not to worry about the whole work thing. It will get done - maybe not as quickly or as expertly as you would do it - and since you aren't going to be the one doing it, it doesn't make sense to worry over it.

We all love you so much, we're pulling for you, rooting for you, praying for you!

Love, Penny

Penelope Z said...

Thinking of you and loving you on this day, Suzy. You are a CHAMPION!!!