Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.     ~John Diamond

Okee dokee, folks.  We have a date -- boob removal at 1000 on Friday, February 25th!  I'm thinking I might lose another 10 pounds with that event!!   Just kidding.  They probably don't weigh THAT much!

It was a long day -- left here at 0715 -- Ken driving the RV to Palm Bay and me driving the car.  I dropped the dogs off to spend the day with their St. Bernard friend, and then I continued on down to Melbourne for my appointment with the surgeon.  I had hoped to get down to Palm Bay to pick Ken up so he could go to the appointment with me, but there wasn't enough time.  I did talk to the surgeon about the recent studies that have come out about not doing lymph node dissection even if there is cancer there.  Sadly, he informed me that those studies (which he was familiar with) do not apply to me, which is exactly what I expected he would say, but I had to ask.  The studies are for early breast cancer and with only microscopic traces of cancer in the lymph nodes.  Sadly, my breast cancer is not considered early, there are several lymph nodes involved, and they are enlarged.  Don't let that alarm you because I'm trying not to let it alarm me.  At any rate, sadly, the lymph nodes will be going with the boobs.  And I hope and pray that I don't have any of the complications and problems associated with lymph node removal (lymphedema, pain, swelling, numbness, immobility, loss of range of motion, etc.). 

Despite having to schedule a bilateral mastectomy, we managed to have a little fun on Valentine's Day.  I picked Ken up in Palm Bay after my appointment, and we went out for a really nice lunch at Squid Lips overlooking the Indian River -- very nice.  And then we went for a walk on the beach -- it was absolutely gorgeous.  Lunch and the beach walk were the highlights of the day.  Then I dropped Ken back off at the RV place and I left to go "pajama shopping(!)" -- figured I better have some PJs that button in the front rather than pull over the head because I'm thinking it's not going to be too easy to raise the arms over the head  after the surgery.  Ya think?!  Then I picked the dogs up from sweet Maisey's house and we headed back to Kars Park to await the arrival of our "home," which eventually showed up.  In fact, we just finished re-parking, re-leveling, putting the slides out, getting the computer set back up, etc.  And we are both BEAT!  And will be heading to bed SOON!

Hope you all had a very Happy Valentine's Day!  Love you all!! 

2 comments:

Penelope Z said...

Suzy,
Glad to hear you have a firm date now. I imagine not knowing was hard to deal with. We wish you peace and love and joy!

Rebecca said...

Hi Suzy--
Have been away from my computer for a few days, so 'twas great to open your blog and find the postings. Like Penny, I'm really glad that you have a date. I am disapointed about the lymph node news, but I'm guessing it's what you expected. You are sounding very positive and hopeful. I liked the Christopher Reeve quote you picked. Think you and Kenny (and all of us) have chosen HOPE right from the start.
LOVE YOU, Suzy.

-Becky