Sunday, February 27, 2011

Never even saw the freight train coming......

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.  ~Author Unknown

Wow!  This morning I feel like I've been run over by every car of a really long freight train!  Eeeh gads!  I have faith that I'll feel better as the day goes on, though.  Kenny just made me a delicious Vitamix juice drink....and it tastes SO good.  Heck, I'm starting to feel better already!  So nice to eat some good food after the horrible hospital food.  My first meal there (which was a mere 3-4 hours after arriving in my room after surgery) was steak and a baked potato -- I don't eat red meat or "starches" nowadays.  They kindly offered to bring me something else -- a piece of grilled chicken -- but it was so dry I could only manage to eat 2 bites of it.  For breakfast the next morning, they brought me pancakes and bacon -- I don't eat red meat or "starches" nowadays.  However, I was so hungry after not eating anything for 36 hours, I ate it anyway!  For lunch yesterday, they brought me a hamburger, french fries, and vanilla ice cream.  Have I mentioned that I don't eat red meat or "starches" nowadays?  When I didn't eat any of it, the nurse chewed me out and said I have to eat in order to get better.  So she called down to the land of food and ordered me a nice salad with turkey on it, which tasted quite good.  But nothing could top the homemade chicken soup last night and the fresh juice drink this morning!    

I actually slept pretty well last night.  Got up twice to pee but got right back to sleep both times.  I slept propped up in bed -- with pillows behind my back.  Can't quite fathom lying flat on my back or getting up from that position just yet. Kenny slept on the couch in the living room because he's coughing so much from his cold.  Hoping and praying I don't get it. 

We emptied "the drains" this morning -- I have 4 of them -- 2 on each side.  We emptied them last night, too, and it was no problem.  For some reason, it really grossed me out this morning, and I thought I was gonna "lose my cookies."  Maybe it was the whole freight-train syndrome and not feeling so great that got to me.  

Well, I just ordered a new book for my Kindle (what a cool thing), so I'm going to read for awhile.  I think I'm going to be doing a lot of lying around being lazy today -- reading, sleeping, maybe watching a movie......  Home Health is supposed to come at some point to make sure the drains look okay, etc.   

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Just posted a comment under your last entry (There's no place like home)...

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
We're so glad to know that you are safely home and in Kenny's (and the doggies'!) loving care!
I guess the added pain is inevitable for awhile, now that the morphine is out of your system, but I expect that will dissipate fairly quickly. How great it is, to have your food supply in Kenny's hands! We so look forward to being there with you, and know that you'll be feeling much better by then. We both love you more than words can tell--Freeland (and Mom)

Stuart said...

We're thinking sooo much of you today, Suzy. Kenny is such a trooper to hang in there and take care of you while he's sick, too. I'm sure he doesn't give it a second thought!

We love you!

Stuart