Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shuttle launch today! Boob removal tomorrow!

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat.  I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss


Tomorrow is the big day -- amputation of the boobs.  I'm hoping today isn't too chaotic.  Tuesday was a very hectic day with lots of phone calls -- makin' 'em and takin' 'em -- and other things.  First I had to go online and watch a 30-minute video about breast cancer and what to expect with the mastectomy, etc.  Then the hospital wanted money up front because they said my deductible hadn't been met; tried to pay with credit card; credit card denied; called credit card company; discovered they had $500/day limit on card -- raised hell and told 'em that wouldn't even buy an ace bandage in this day and age; they raised the limit for one day so I could pay hospital; called insurance company to dispute lab charges being out of network when I had no control over what the hell lab they used; they said to write letter of appeal; called pre-admin and asked if I really had to get my wedding ring and engagement ring off (I'm a little heavier than I was 27 years ago.....and the rings would NOT move) -- they said to try to get them off because if I have any swelling, they might get even tighter.

Okay, I wrote the above paragraph early this morning but didn't have time to finish it -- swamped with transcription.  Thankfully I just finished that (started typing at 3:00 a.m.), and now I can spend the rest of the day trying to get my "ducks in a row."  Hopefully there will be time to walk down to the pier (1/2 a mile or less) and watch the shuttle launch at 1650 today.  There should be time for that, and it's a spectacular day for a launch -- sunny and 78 degrees! 

Aaah....the rings....I had to go to the fire department yesterday and get them cut off my fingers!  : (    So, I was standing there in the fire station with the young dude using his special ring-cutting tool, and all of a sudden I thought I was going to pass out or throw up.  Not sure what that was all about -- emotional trauma from having my wedding ring and engagement ring destroyed??  I just politely asked the dude if I could sit down, and then I was fine.  Kenny was there to witness this event, too.  He thinks we can take the rings to a jeweler and have them soldered back together or whatever they do.  It's not like they're worth thousands of dollars or anything -- I think they were each less than $100 -- but it's the sentimental value! 

Well, I really have a bunch of things I need to be doing, so I guess I'd better post this entry and get crackin'.  Thank you all ever so much for all your love and support!  I know I've said that before, but it really means the world to me!  I love you all so much! 

P.S.  I have on a pink breast cancer shirt today -- it says "Fight Like A Girl" (with a picture of boxing gloves) on the front -- it was kindly passed down to me from a breast cancer survivor I met a couple of weeks ago.  When I'm done wearing it, and when (not if) I am happily in those ranks of breast cancer survivors, I will pass it on to somebody else. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful day for a launch. Tomorrow the sun will be shining on you also. Thousands have survived breast cancer and you'll be there to write about it and offer encouragement to others. We send our love and prayers.

Jean said...

Brenda said it beautifully: The sun WILL be shining on you tomorrow, Suzy. And you have the thoughts and prayers from many, many people from all around the country. We all love you so much! Mom and Free

Jean said...

Dear Suzy--
You are the best in every way. Your incomparable blog reveals that, even to readers who never knew you before, and I'm blessed to have known you and loved you for more years than I can count (I never was any good at math!)
We can't wait to see you--Free (and Mom)

Emma Russo-Savage said...

Hi Suzy,

Even though I'm not with my family right now, I know I speak for all of them when I say we'll be thinking of you all day, and sending our love, best wishes and thoughts in your (and Kenny's!) direction. We love you very, very much!

Love,
Emma (and the rest of the Russo-Savage clan)

Stuart said...

Reading about that pink shirt gave me a thought……

I'll be looking for a race (5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon?) where the money goes to a breast cancer foundation.

Any other family members want to join up? Any suggestions?

Take care,

Stuart