Sunday, February 6, 2011

Welcome aboard Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Okay, so I've decided to start a blog because I was thinking it would be easier than writing a bunch of emails.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I guess I'll find out.
Timeline of events:
January 13, 2011 -- spent 3 hours (off and on) trying to schedule appointment for mammogram in Merritt Island -- long story, frustrating morning.  Finally got an appointment for afternoon of Jan. 18.
January 18, 2011 -- arrived early for appointment, went through registration/paperwork, got called back to room, gowned, ready to go, and they wouldn't do it.  Another long story, huge fiasco, and frustrating afternoon.  The heck with that facility.
January 19, 2011 -- made appointment for mammogram in Melbourne
January 25, 2011 -- mammogram/ultrasound done (due to palpable lump in breast)
January 26, 2011 -- bad news -- Birads cat 5 -- as bad as it gets -- highly suspicious for malignancy
January 31, 2011 -- consultation/examination with surgeon -- he bluntly told me that he thought I had breast cancer, he thought there was lymph node involvement, and he was sure I would need the Big 3 -- surgery, chemo, radiation.  He convinced me (against my wishes) that I need an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy to find out what was going on.  I VERY reluctantly agreed to it -- I was opposed to needle biopsies due to problem of "seeding the track" (would have preferred an excisional biopsy). 
February 1, 2011 (our 27th anniversary) -- needle biopsy of lump and lymph nodes; not painful, just scary due to my not wanting a needle biopsy.
February 2, 2011 -- around noon, the surgeon called with the bad news -- it's definitely breast cancer, and the lymph nodes are involved.  After I hung up the phone, my world just started spinning around out of control.  That entire afternoon was very "surreal."  I spent about 5 hours on the phone that afternoon -- calling family and friends, doctors calling me to make appointments, calling the insurance company because they said my premium wasn't paid (it was!), etc., etc.  Life hasn't been quite the same since then.
February 3, 2011 -- scheduled for PET scan (to see if the monster had gone anywhere else besides the lymph nodes)
February 4, 2011 -- received preliminary PET scan report -- I was literally shaking in my boots, absolutely terrified that it would be more bad news, and I didn't have any more room in my brain for any more bad news.  It was GOOD news.  Near as I could tell (haven't gotten the surgeon's opinion yet), it was only in the breast and lymph nodes, although there was mention of a 4 mm nodule in the right lung lobe; however, that didn't sound too worrisome in MY opinion!  So, after getting that news, I was VERY excited that I only had breast cancer (with lymph node involvement)!  We even went out to celebrate(!) that night -- I had ice water (I'm on a super-duper health kick now), and Kenny had 2 glasses of wine (1 for me and 1 for him!).

Okay, well, that's the timeline for now.  I will write some more later.  Just wanted to get started.  But right now Kenny and I are going to go to a movie  -- something we haven't done in probably 10 years! 

No comments: